Analytical Science - Group Lead (9 month Fixed Term Contract)
This is a maternity cover for a Group lead within the analytical science R&D group. Where you will be responsible for providing line management duties to a team of analytical scientists and should be comfortable working in a fast-paced, close-knit team environment and on multiple projects with constantly changing priorities and deadlines, be well organised, self-motivated and have excellent communication skills and attention to detail. You will understand your own style and the impact this has on others and actively seek feedback for your own development as a manager.
This position is for an initial period of 9 months on a fixed-term contract to cover maternity leave. However there is potential for extension.
Key tasks / Accountabilities
- Engaging with other line managers across the organization
- Providing reports on productivity and other performance indicators to management
- Empower employees to take responsibility for their roles and goals. Delegate responsibility and expect accountability and regular feedback.
- Coach, mentor and develop staff and providing career development planning and opportunities.
- Maintain transparent communication between direct reports and associated projects
- Appropriately communicate organisation information through one-to-one meetings, email and regular interpersonal communication.
- Provide effective performance feedback through employee recognition, rewards and disciplinary action, with the assistance of HR team when necessary.
- Manage the recruitment process, identify key skills for the ideal candidates, shortlist, conduct interviews and select new hires.
- To maintain an awareness of current techniques and technologies in the area of analytical science
- Providing training and support to new hires
- Providing coaching and performance feedback to all team members
- Identifying the need for corrective actions
- Ensuring quality standards for all processes as ensuring analytical rigour is adhered to
- In addition to this, you will also be expected to play an active role in the success of the department. This could include acting as a technical reviewer for other projects, running or contributing to development seminars and deputising for more senior staff as required
The following competencies form the core strength of analytical science department, you will have an in-depth knowledge of the below competencies in complex situations and will be able to critically evaluate, adapt and add to them, as necessary. You will be recognised as an expert by other senior professional and will be expected to demonstrate a practical application of them in complex situations as well as draw upon examples where others have sought your guidance in their application.
- Research - The ability to conduct, objective, logical, and systematic method of analysis of phenomena devised to permit the accumulation of reliable knowledge
- Protocols – The ability of how to follow and validate protocols and understanding of the importance to spot, raise and resolve nonconformities and track through to a root cause analysis of any outside tolerance deviations
- Data Management- Understanding the pertinency of the data collection, data entry and verification process and data management systems
- Dissemination of Findings – The ability to report results using the various dissemination formats available for different target audiences. Understands the importance of clear communication adapted in a manner suitable for the audience
- Analytical Concept - The understanding of the rationale, theory, and subject matter in a particular scientific discipline to allow the appropriate application within an analytical role. (e.g Applying knowledge of basic chemical concepts and theories to set research questions with appropriate confidence limits, choose correct analysis technique and proficient instrument operation).
- Facilities and Safety – Has the ability to assess the appropriateness of laboratory function against business deliverables and justify / implement the change when required. Also understands the importance of compliance to processes that are there to identify and mitigate workplace hazards
- Pre- analytical – Has the ability to design, implement and evaluate the appropriateness of sampling methodologies and sample preparation
- Analysis – Oversee and technically advise routine and non-routine analysis and understands when the applied technique is fit for purpose and what associated quality control activities are required to ensure that the technique remains within established ranges and limits. When technique deviates from those established ranges and limits will be able to effectively troubleshoot.
- Critical evaluation of data – Has the ability to evaluate and ensure the accuracy of data as well as spot real and non-real trends to provide an answer with confidence limits to either fulfil a customer contract or research question
Education & Training
- The successful candidate is likely to have a higher degree in a relevant analytical science discipline
Experience / Knowledge
- Have proven experience as a strong manager, ideally in cross functional teams, with multiple direct reports
- Analytical science experience preferably within a drug development or diagnostic environment
- Metabolomics or other Omics experience
- Microbilology or Bioanalysis experience
- TD-GC-MS experience
- Experience of working to GxP quality standards
- Metabolite ID and structural elucidation
- Leadership with strong interpersonal skills and empowerment capacity to inspire and ignite others to develop their talents and abilities
- Stakeholder management
- High attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Flexible approach to changing priorities
About Owlstone Medical
Owlstone Medical (www.owlstonemedical.com) is on a mission to save 100,000 lives and $1.5 billion in healthcare costs through the development and application of Breath Biopsy®. This involves collecting volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and respiratory droplets from breath, which can provide information about metabolic activity and markers related to health and disease.
Breath sampling has substantial advantages for the early detection of disease and to enable precision medicine approaches to patient care. To realize these advantages, Owlstone Medical offers Research Products and Services for biomarker discovery and is developing tests in applications including cancer, liver disease, asthma, and environmental exposure. Our work includes partnerships with major organizations including AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, the Cleveland Clinic, and the NHS and our platform is in use at well over 100 clinical and academic sites worldwide.
Our leadership in breath is underpinned by our world-class and varied team, including systems engineers, clinical scientists, analytical chemists, artificial intelligence specialists and clinical trials coordinators.
The Owlstone group also commercializes a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defense.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a strong and vibrant team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes an Employee share options scheme and private medical insurance and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of a thriving start-up company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone Medical could be the place for you.
We do not accept applications from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list. If you are concerned that your application has not been received by Owlstone Medical, please contact us using firstname.lastname@example.org.