Analytical Services Team Leader (Internal Only)
The Analytical Services Team Leader will direct the day-to-day operations of a laboratory team to fulfil the supply, receipt and processing of breath sampling kits and samples. They will instil a culture of timely, accurate and high-quality working practices in the team. They will undertake line management duties including setting work, determining training needs, giving feedback, performing staff reviews and pastoral care. They will perform technical laboratory tasks in an accurate and timely manner, following documented procedures while adhering to safe laboratory practices. The role is based in a laboratory environment providing a supporting role to the analysis of breath samples, hence strict adherence to working procedures and quality standards is essential.
Key Tasks / Accountabilities
- Ensuring the team fulfils laboratory duties correctly and safely through training in and adherence to documented procedures
- Ensuring team members fulfil day-to-day operational demand by managing workload and tasks in response to the business needs
- Ensuring that records and logs are maintained in an accurate and timely fashion
- Ensuring that daily, weekly and other laboratory checks are completed to ensure a high standard of environmental and biological control
- Understanding the Group objectives and priorities and how they relate to the laboratory’s resources, facilities and processes
- Reporting operational issues to the Group Lead
- Setting objectives, monitoring and reviewing progress of team members
- Ensure all team members are provided with pastoral care, performance management and personal development to ensure Owlstone meets its strategic objectives
- Prepare breath sampling kit components for clinical use
- Prepare breath samples for analysis
- Operate and maintain equipment to ensure the capacity of laboratory operations. Assess daily check data to ensure equipment is fit for use.
- Carry out preparation of chemicals and quality control standards.
- Handling, assembly and cleaning of parts such as sorbent tubes, caps and ferrules to ensure consistent laboratory supply.
- Update records, database and logs of work as appropriate.
- Adhere to operating standards such as ISO9001 or GLP as required.
- Other duties as directed by the Group Leader.
Education & Training
- Qualified at degree level in a scientific subject (preferably chemistry), or equivalent experience
- Practical knowledge of working in a laboratory environment
The following competences form the core strength of Owlstone Analytical Sciences. You should demonstrate awareness of these competences and be able to apply their principles when undertaking laboratory work and directing staff.
- Research - The ability to conduct, objective, logical, and systematic method of analysis of phenomena devised to permit the accumulation of reliable knowledge
- Protocols – The ability to follow and validate protocols and understanding of the importance to spot, raise and resolve nonconformances and track through to a root cause analysis of any outside tolerance deviations
- Data – Understanding the pertinency of the data collection, data entry and verification process and data management systems
- Dissemination of Findings – The ability to report results using the various dissemination formats available for different target audiences. Understands the importance of clear communication adapted in a manner suitable for the audience
- Analytical Concept – The understanding of rationale, theory, and subject matter in a particular scientific discipline to allow the appropriate application within an analytical role. (e.g Applying knowledge of basic chemical concepts and theories to set research questions with appropriate confidence limits, choose correct analysis technique and proficient instrument operation).
- Facilities and Safety – Has the ability to assess the appropriateness of laboratory function against business deliverables and justify / implement the change when required. Also understands the importance of compliance to processes that are there to identify and mitigate workplace hazards
- Pre- analytical – Has the ability to design, implement and evaluate the appropriateness of sampling and sample preparation methodologies
- Analysis – Has the ability to perform routine and non-routine analysis and understands when the applied technique is fit for purposeand what associated quality control activities are required to ensurethat the technique remains within established ranges and limits. When technique deviates from those established ranges and limits will be able to effectively troubleshoot.
- Critical evaluation of data – Has the ability to evaluate and ensure the accuracy of data as well as spot real and non-real trends to provide an answer with confidence limits to either fulfil a customer contract or research question
Experience / Knowledge
- Experience of working in a laboratory environment essential
- Experience of handling chemical or biological samples essential
- Experience supervising or leading people desirable
- Experience working with thermal desorbers, gas chromatographs or other analytical instruments desirable
- Hands-on experience of database or data entry desirable
- General IT competency and a working knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Ability to motivate staff
- Ability to work and communicate well within a team
- Able to follow procedures accurately
- Able to perform repetitive tasks to a consistent standard
- High attention to detail
- Flexible approach to changing priorities
- Good data entry skills
About Owlstone Medical
Owlstone Medical (www.owlstonemedical.com) is on a mission to save 100,000 lives and $1.5 billion in healthcare costs through the development and application of Breath Biopsy®. This involves collecting volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and respiratory droplets from breath, which can provide information about metabolic activity and markers related to health and disease.
Breath sampling has substantial advantages for the early detection of disease and to enable precision medicine approaches to patient care. To realize these advantages, Owlstone Medical offers Research Products and Services for biomarker discovery and is developing tests in applications including cancer, liver disease, asthma, and environmental exposure. Our work includes partnerships with major organizations including AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, the Cleveland Clinic, and the NHS and our platform is in use at well over 100 clinical and academic sites worldwide.
Our leadership in breath is underpinned by our world-class and varied team, including systems engineers, clinical scientists, analytical chemists, artificial intelligence specialists and clinical trials coordinators.
The Owlstone group also commercializes a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defense.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a strong and vibrant team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes an Employee share options scheme and private medical insurance and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of a thriving start-up company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone Medical could be the place for you.
We do not accept applications from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list. If you are concerned that your application has not been received by Owlstone Medical, please contact us using email@example.com.