Assistant Scientist - Validity & Compliance
Owlstone Medical has a new Assistant Scientist position available within our Analytical Validity and Compliance group to assist in the management of its laboratories and equipment. They will be expected to follow procedures to support the running of the laboratory and the operation and maintenance of laboratory equipment and supplies.
Key Tasks / Accountabilities
- Follow documented procedures to operate and maintain laboratory equipment
- Regularly monitor and ensure adherence to laboratory environment specifications
- Regularly monitor laboratory supplies and ensure adherence to defined specifications
- Write and update Health and Safety documentation such as COSHH forms and equipment and area risk assessments
- Maintain the Analytical Science laboratory inventories
- Maintain accurate, up to date laboratory records
- Liaise with the calibration and maintenance technician to ensure equipment is calibrated and databases remain accurate and up to date
- Assist in the maintenance of the laboratory facilities, ensuring that facilities are clean and organised
- Carry out preparation of chemical or biological samples
- Assist with experiments to develop and validate procedures for use of analytical equipment, methods and processes intrinsic to Owlstone’s Analytical Science operations
- Work within Owlstone’s Quality Management System with regards to laboratory and instrumentation processes and management of non-conformances
- In addition to this, you will also be expected to play an active role in the success of the Analytical Science groups. This could include acting as a technical reviewer, running or contributing to development seminars and deputising for more senior staff as required
The following competencies form the core strengths of the Analytical Science department. You will be expected to have a working knowledge of these competencies and be able to apply them in non-complex situations under supervision.
- Research - The ability to conduct objective, logical, and systematic analysis of phenomena to permit the accumulation of reliable knowledge
- Protocols – The ability to follow and validate protocols and understanding of the importance of spotting, raising and resolving nonconformities, and tracking through to a determination of root cause
- Data Management- Understanding the pertinency of the data collection, data entry and verification process and data management systems
- Dissemination of Findings – The ability to report results using the various dissemination formats available for different target audiences. Understands the importance of clear communication adapted in a manner suitable for the audience
- Analytical Concept - The understanding of the rationale, theory, and subject matter in a particular scientific discipline to allow the appropriate application within an analytical role. (e.g Applying knowledge of basic chemical concepts and theories to set research questions with appropriate confidence limits, choose correct analysis technique and proficient instrument operation).
- Facilities and Safety – The ability to assess the appropriateness of laboratory function against business deliverables and justify / implement the change when required. Also understands the importance of compliance with processes that are there to identify and mitigate workplace hazards
- Pre- analytical – The ability to design, implement and evaluate the appropriateness of sampling methodologies and sample preparation
- Analysis – The ability to perform routine and non-routine analysis and understand when the applied technique is fit for purpose and what associated quality control activities are required to ensure that the technique remains within established ranges and limits. The ability to effectively troubleshoot when technique deviates from those established ranges and limits.
- Critical evaluation of data – The ability to evaluate and ensure the accuracy of data as well as spot real and non-real trends to provide an answer with confidence limits to either fulfil a customer contract or research question
Education & Training
The successful candidate is likely to be educated to degree level in chemistry or life science related discipline, although this is not essential if you have worked in a similar environment
Experience / Knowledge
- Have practical knowledge of working in a laboratory environment
- Experience performing routine performance checks on equipment
- Experience writing COSHH forms and risk assessments
- Experience performing routine maintenance on equipment
- Experience managing laboratory inventories and laboratory waste
- Experience defining/writing laboratory procedures
- Experience preparing/handling chemical or biological samples
- Experience working in an ISO 17025 or GxP environment
- Ability to follow procedures accurately
- Good data entry and record keeping skills
- High attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work well within a team
- Flexible approach to changing priorities
About Owlstone Medical
Owlstone Medical (www.owlstonemedical.com) is on a mission to save 100,000 lives and $1.5 billion in healthcare costs through the development and application of Breath Biopsy®. This involves collecting volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and respiratory droplets from breath, which can provide information about the metabolic activity and markers related to health and disease.
Breath sampling has substantial advantages for the early detection of disease and to enable precision medicine approaches to patient care. To realize these advantages, Owlstone Medical offers Research Products and Services for biomarker discovery and is developing tests in applications including cancer, liver disease, asthma, and environmental exposure. Our work includes partnerships with major organizations including AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, the Cleveland Clinic, and the NHS and our platform is in use at well over 100 clinical and academic sites worldwide.
Our leadership in-breath is underpinned by our world-class and varied team, including systems engineers, clinical scientists, analytical chemists, artificial intelligence specialists and clinical trials coordinators.
The Owlstone group also commercializes a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defense.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a strong and vibrant team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes an Employee share options scheme and private medical insurance and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of a thriving start-up company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone Medical could be the place for you.
We do not accept applications from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list. If you are concerned that your application has not been received by Owlstone Medical, please contact us using firstname.lastname@example.org.