As associate informatician, your main role is to support the product research and services and breath biopsy test programmes via data processing and data analysis of mass spectrometry data for biological samples used for biomarker discovery and validation.
KEY TASKS / ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Process and analyse quantitative GC mass spectrometry metabolomics data for untargeted and targeted metabolomics studies.
- Understand quantitative workflows and data structure to efficiently integrate and/or develop automated data acquisition, processing, analysis and visualization protocols, with appropriate infrastructure and pipeline management tools.
- Combine open-source and/or commercially available software tools for enabling chemical identification & annotation in biological samples.
- Collaborate effectively with biologists, statisticians and data scientists to design and deliver robust and impactful metabolomics studies, via data processing and analysis. This could include analysis of metabolomics data in conjunction with other data types.
The following competences form the core strength of information science department, you will have an in-depth knowledge, and be able to demonstrate experience in applying these competences in your daily activities:
- Data processing -The ability to conduct, objective, logical, and systematic method of data processing of samples of interests to permit the accumulation of reliable knowledge.
- Data management- Understanding the pertinency of the data collection, data entry and verification process and data management systems
- Dissemination of findings – The ability of reporting results using the various dissemination formats available for different target audiences. Understands the importance of clear communication adapted in a manner suitable for the audience
- Analysis – Has the ability to perform routine and non-routine analysis and understands when the applied data processing and data analysis methods are fit for purposeand what associated quality control are requested to grant high quality data production.
- Critical evaluation of data – Has the ability to evaluate and ensure the accuracy of data as well as spot real and non-real trends to provide an answer with confidence limits to either fulfil a customer contract or research question
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- BS / MS, or equivalent in metabolomics, analytical chemistry, bioinformatics, computer science or life sciences
EXPERIENCE / KNOWLEDGE
- Experience in data processing and basic data analysis.
- Basic understanding of chemistry, biology, cell biology, and human physiology.
- Some experience or strong will to learn relevant coding languages such as Python or R.
- Experience with common software packages for data processing of metabolomics data (e.g. Thermo Compound Discoverer, Thermo Chromeleon, XC-MS, Agilent Mass Hunter Quant, Agilent MPP etc) would be an advantage.
- Experience in structural elucidation based on mass spectrometry data would be an advantage.
- Demonstrated experience in the core competency areas: mass-spectrometry based -omics, multivariate and/or high dimensional data analysis (-omics) would be an advantage.
- SQL/NoSQL databasing, networked and cloud-based systems, software versioning tools (e.g. Git/Github) would be an advantage.
- Experience in other molecular profiling technologies (e.g. NGS) or multi-omics would be an advantage.
- Good communication
- Team working
- Problem solving
About Owlstone Medical
Owlstone Medical (www.owlstonemedical.com) is on a mission to save 100,000 lives and $1.5 billion in healthcare costs through the development and application of Breath Biopsy®. This involves collecting volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and respiratory droplets from breath, which can provide information about metabolic activity and markers related to health and disease.
Breath sampling has substantial advantages for the early detection of disease and to enable precision medicine approaches to patient care. To realize these advantages, Owlstone Medical offers Research Products and Services for biomarker discovery and is developing tests in applications including cancer, liver disease, asthma, and environmental exposure. Our work includes partnerships with major organizations including AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, the Cleveland Clinic, and the NHS and our platform is in use at well over 100 clinical and academic sites worldwide.
Our leadership in breath is underpinned by our world-class and varied team, including systems engineers, clinical scientists, analytical chemists, artificial intelligence specialists and clinical trials coordinators.
The Owlstone group also commercializes a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defense.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a strong and vibrant team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes an Employee share options scheme and private medical insurance and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of a thriving start-up company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone Medical could be the place for you.
We do not accept applications from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list. If you are concerned that your application has not been received by Owlstone Medical, please contact us using firstname.lastname@example.org.