Breath Biopsy Laboratory Assistant
The Breath Biopsy Lab Technician will support the Breath Biopsy Lab Team by carrying out routine laboratory tasks in an accurate and timely manner, following documented procedures while adhering to safe laboratory practices. The role is based in a lab environment providing a supporting role to the analysis of breath samples, hence strict adherence to working procedures and quality standards is key. Note that remote working is not possible for this role.
Key Tasks / Accountabilities
- Parts Handling and Cleaning: The assembly of parts such as brass caps and ferrules to meet laboratory throughput. The organising and cleaning of parts used in laboratory processes, principally by tracking batches through stages of oven baking.
- Sample Handling and Preparation: The conditioning and capping of thermal desorption tubes used in breath analysis. The organisation and storage of samples in fridges and freezers, including cryogenic freezers, according to the requirements of clinical and research studies.
- Equipment Care and Maintenance: Assist with the maintenance of equipment such as sorbent tube conditioners to maintain capacity of laboratory processes.
- Chemical Handling and Preparation: Carry out routine preparation of standards for analysis in the Breath Biopsy Lab.
- Laboratory Standards: Assist with cleaning of laboratory areas and safety cabinets to ensure a high standard of environmental and biological control.
- Documentation: Maintain records and logs of work as appropriate, including database entry.
- Other tasks as directed by the Team Leader.
Education & Training
- Qualified at A-level/HNC/HND level in a scientific subject (preferably chemistry)
- Ideally have practical knowledge of working in a laboratory environment
- Teamworking – communicates effectively with colleagues to ensure timely and accurate fulfilment of lab demands. Builds lasting and effective relationships with colleagues; builds trust in performance as a team member.
- Adaptability – be adaptable to changes of priorities and modifications to procedures, and able to implement change effectively as directed.
- Attention to detail – able to follow procedures accurately, attaching importance to all steps in a process.
- Work standards – understands and promotes the importance of high standards of cleanliness, safety, and quality of work to support fundamentals of clinical sample analysis. Maintains standards during periods of repetitive work.
- Document control – understand and acts on the importance of good record keeping, keep accurate records and complete logs in a timely manner
Experience / Knowledge
- Experience of working in a laboratory environment desirable
- Hands-on experience of database or essential data entry desirable
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Ability to follow procedures accurately
- Able to perform repetitive tasks to a consistent standard
- High attention to detail
- Flexible approach to changing priorities
- Good data entry skills
- Ability to work and communicate well within a team
About Owlstone Medical
Owlstone Medical (www.owlstonemedical.com) is on a mission to save 100,000 lives and $1.5 billion in healthcare costs through the development and application of Breath Biopsy®. This involves collecting volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and respiratory droplets from breath, which can provide information about metabolic activity and markers related to health and disease.
Breath sampling has substantial advantages for the early detection of disease and to enable precision medicine approaches to patient care. To realize these advantages, Owlstone Medical offers Research Products and Services for biomarker discovery and is developing tests in applications including cancer, liver disease, asthma, and environmental exposure. Our work includes partnerships with major organizations including AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, the Cleveland Clinic, and the NHS and our platform is in use at well over 100 clinical and academic sites worldwide.
Our leadership in breath is underpinned by our world-class and varied team, including systems engineers, clinical scientists, analytical chemists, artificial intelligence specialists and clinical trials coordinators.
The Owlstone group also commercializes a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defense.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a strong and vibrant team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes an Employee share options scheme and private medical insurance and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of a thriving start-up company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone Medical could be the place for you.
We do not accept applications from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list. If you are concerned that your application has not been received by Owlstone Medical, please contact us using firstname.lastname@example.org.