Chemistry Group Lead
Owlstone Medical’s mission is to save 100,000 lives and save health care providers $1.5B. With several major projects underway to develop disease screening and diagnosis based on detection of metabolic products in breath.
We are currently seeking qualified candidates to line manage the Chemistry Team based in Cambridge, UK.
Areas of responsibility:
- Engaging with other line managers across the organization.
- Providing reports on productivity and other performance indicators to management.
- Empower employees to take responsibility for their roles and goals. Delegate responsibility and expect accountability and regular feedback.
- Coach, mentor and develop staff and providing career development planning and opportunities.
- Maintain transparent communication.
- Appropriately communicate organisation information through one-to-one meetings, email and regular interpersonal communication.
- Provide effective performance feedback through employee recognition, rewards and disciplinary action, with the assistance of HR team when necessary.
- Manage the recruitment process, identify key skills for the ideal candidates, shortlist, conduct interviews and select new hires.
- To maintain an awareness of current techniques and technologies in the area of TD-GC-MS.
- Providing training and support to new hires.
- Providing coaching and performance feedback to all team members.
- Identifying the need for corrective actions.
- Ensuring quality standards for all processes and ensuring analytical rigour is adhered to.
The successful candidate will:
- Be a team player with strong interpersonal skills and empowerment capacity to inspire and ignite others and to develop their talents and abilities.
- Have proven experience as a manager, ideally in cross functional teams, with multiple direct reports.
- Have a track record of new process and technology implementation, ideally in laboratory processes.
- Should be comfortable working in a fast-paced, close-knit team environment and on multiple projects with constantly changing priorities and deadlines, be well organised, self-motivated and have excellent communication skills and attention to detail.
- You will understand your own style and the impact this has on others and actively seek feedback for your own development as a manager.
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease www.owlstonemedical.com.
Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath - some are tell-tale markers of disease that our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect.
Our vision is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; we aim to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. The key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage drop to about 5% - unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
The Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes future share options and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone may be the place for you.
We do not accept applications from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list. If you are concerned that your application has not been received by Owlstone Medical, please contact us using firstname.lastname@example.org.