Owlstone Medical’s mission is to save 100,000 lives and save health care providers $1.5B. With several major projects underway to develop disease screening and diagnosis based on detection of metabolic products in breath.
We are looking for someone with excellent skills and cheminformatics/metabolomics experience. The successful candidate will be a team player with a positive and flexible attitude to work. This is an outstanding opportunity to join an innovative team with a strong vision for the future.
As a Chemoinformatician your main responsibilities will involve:
- Process and analyse quantitative GC mass spectrometry metabolomics data for untargeted and targeted metabolomics studies.
- Understand quantitative metabolomics workflows and data structure to efficiently integrate and/or develop automated data acquisition, processing, analysis and visualization protocols, with appropriate infrastructure and pipeline management tools.
- Contribute to local and global data management processes and solutions for capturing and exploiting metabolomics and other high-dimensional data type.
- Combine open-source and/or commercially available software tools for enabling metabolites identification & annotation in biological samples.
- Involved in maintaining and developing automation tools for chemical metabolomics as well as training staff to use the developed tools.
- Collaborate effectively with scientists, statisticians and data scientists to design and deliver robust and impactful metabolomics studies, via data processing, analysis and interpretation. This could include analysis of metabolomics data in conjunction with other data types via statistical and machine learning approaches.
As a Chemoinformatician your skills and qualifications will ideally include:
- MS, or equivalent, in metabolomics, analytical chemistry, bioinformatics, computer science or the life sciences.
- Experience with common software packages for data processing of metabolomics data (e.g. Agilent Mass Hunter Quant, Agilent MPP, Thermo Chromeleon, Thermo Compound Discoverer etc).
- Demonstrated experience in the core competency areas: mass-spectrometry based -omics, multivariate and/or high dimensional data analysis (-omics), data management and visualisation.
- Some experience or will to learn relevant coding languages such as Python or R.
- Basic understanding of biology, cell biology, and human physiology.
- SQL/NoSQL databasing, networked and cloud-based systems, software versioning tools (e.g. Git/Github) would be an advantage.
- Experience in other molecular profiling technologies (e.g. NGS) or multi-omics would be an advantage.
- Knowledge of Agile approach would be an advantage.
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease www.owlstonemedical.com
Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath - some are tell-tale markers of disease that our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect.
Our vision is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; we aim to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. The key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage drop to about 5% - unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
The Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes future share options and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone may be the place for you.
We do not accept applications from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list. If you are concerned that your application has not been received by Owlstone Medical, please contact us using firstname.lastname@example.org.