Clinical and Translational Science Group Lead
As part of Owlstone Medical’s growing operation, we are now seeking a Group Lead within our Clinical and Translational Science Department.
The successful candidate will be a talented scientist with an aptitude and passion for leading and managing technical teams. They will have scientific expertise in one or more of the following domains: biomarker discovery, metabolomics, and/or breath-based VOC research with a focus on translation of biomedical research to clinical applications; or clinical trial design and data analysis.
In this role, you will be responsible for managing a small group of scientists working on projects to discover and validate breath biomarkers using Owlstone Medical's Breath Biopsy® technology. As line manager, you will support your team, acting as a coach, facilitating personal and professional development, managing performance and providing individual support to sustain a highly engaged and effective team.
You will also make strong technical contributions to our research and development projects; helping to evaluate, mature and progress our clinical test pipeline, working on novel and existing opportunities for Breath Biopsy® in disease diagnosis and monitoring. Our work spans a broad range of research and development stages - from initial feasibility through to demonstration of utility - and you will work closely with other team members across a range of scientific, technical and commercial disciplines.
The key responsibilities of the role are:
- Being a centre of expertise in one or more relevant areas of biological, clinical or translational science
- Helping to shape Owlstone’s biomarker discovery strategy, with the department head and other key stakeholders
- Leading technical review and internal training in the department's core areas of expertise
- Making strong individual technical contributions to projects across a range of Breath Biopsy applications at different stages of development
Team Leadership and Management
- Setting and maintaining clear expectations and purpose for the team and the individuals, ensuring each team member plays their part in delivering the company Objectives
- Ensuring the team has the capability and capacity to support the company Objectives
- Empowering the team to work effectively, embrace change and reach its full potential
- Creating a coaching culture in the team where constructive, timely feedback, active listening and employee wellbeing are supported
- Managing performance through regular measurement, communication and appropriate corrective action to ensure that you have a high-performing and engaged team
- Being a role model for the Owlstone Culture and Values
- An aptitude for and strong interest in leading, managing and developing research scientists at a range of career stages
- An understanding of cellular metabolism, biochemistry, and physiology in the context of oncology, hepatology, microbiology, immunology or respiratory disease
- Experience working closely with biostatisticians and basic scientists to structure, manage and interpret clinical datasets
- Ability to communicate scientific knowledge verbally and in writing to specialists and non-specialists alike
- Experience effectively communicating with stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, think and work independently, problem-solve, work in multi-disciplinary teams and multitask
- Proactive in your approach to work, with an independent, creative and open mindset
- Experience with biomarker research, metabolic flux-analysis and pathway analysis
- Experience with techniques such as qPCR, ELISA, cell culture and FACS, and experience with GC-MS- or LC-MS-based data
- Experience designing in-human trials for pharmaceutical products and/or biomarker studies
- Proven track record in translating basic science concepts to in-human applications
- Ability to rapidly find and condense relevant information around clinical positioning and clinical utility
Education & Training
- PhD (or Master's degree with a suitable demonstrable experience) in the biological or life sciences
- Industry experience is desirable
Experience & Knowledge
- A track record of leading and managing high-performing science teams is highly desirable
- A strong publication record
- Experience of working in a regulated environment
- Experience conducting and designing studies to GCP standards
About Owlstone Medical
Owlstone Medical (www.owlstonemedical.com) is on a mission to save 100,000 lives and $1.5 billion in healthcare costs through the development and application of Breath Biopsy®. This involves collecting volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and respiratory droplets from breath, which can provide information about metabolic activity and markers related to health and disease.
Breath sampling has substantial advantages for the early detection of disease and to enable precision medicine approaches to patient care. To realize these advantages, Owlstone Medical offers Research Products and Services for biomarker discovery and is developing tests in applications including cancer, liver disease, asthma, and environmental exposure. Our work includes partnerships with major organizations including AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, the Cleveland Clinic, and the NHS and our platform is in use at well over 100 clinical and academic sites worldwide.
Our leadership in breath is underpinned by our world-class and varied team, including systems engineers, clinical scientists, analytical chemists, artificial intelligence specialists and clinical trials coordinators.
The Owlstone group also commercializes a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defense.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a strong and vibrant team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes an Employee share options scheme and private medical insurance and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of a thriving start-up company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone Medical could be the place for you.
We do not accept applications from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list. If you are concerned that your application has not been received by Owlstone Medical, please contact us using firstname.lastname@example.org.