Engineering Department Head
Owlstone Medical’s mission is to save 100,000 lives and save health care providers $1.5B, with several major projects underway to develop disease screening and diagnosis based on detection of metabolic products in breath.
We are currently seeking an Engineering Department Head in Cambridge, UK, to join our Research and Development team. The successful candidate will lead and manage a multi-disciplinary group of engineers and scientists working to design, build, test and validate a range of trace-chemical-detection prototypes, products and services. They will be responsible for ensuring the team supports and enables our business objectives, with the capability and capacity required across a range of technical disciplines, spanning mechanical engineering, physical and chemical system modelling, system design, prototyping and testing.
The Engineering Department Head will be a key member of Owlstone's R&D management team, helping us to sustain, develop and mature our business processes and systems as the company grows and playing a significant role in shaping and communicating the company's technical strategy.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Leading, sustaining and growing a multi-disciplinary group of scientists and engineers developing chemical detection products and processes, providing technical direction and oversight, and working with other senior staff to promote technical co-ordination across product and prototype developments
- As a senior member of Owlstone's Research and Development management team, helping to lead and manage the R&D organisation, building capability, processes and systems to support the growth of the company
- Helping to develop, communicate and champion the company strategy, ensuring your team understands the bigger picture, and the context for and value of their work
- Building a sound understanding of Owlstone's markets and the value we bring to the customer, and representing this in internal, customer, partner, and investor meetings
- Supporting project planning and execution, ensuring that assumptions on technical approach, timescales and resource needs are realistic and helping the team to overcome obstacles to progress
- Promoting communication within and outside the department, helping to ensure that work is aligned and co-ordinated throughout R&D organisation
- Providing effective line management for the team, providing support and feedback, encouraging and promoting career development, assessing performance and giving key input to salary reviews
The successful candidate:
- Will be an accomplished leader with a strong track record of building, leading, managing and developing high-performing technical teams
- Will have expert knowledge in one of more areas of physical science or engineering, backed by experience in a commercial setting, developing complex technical products or services
- Will relish the challenge of a fast-paced, dynamic start-up environment; able to manage multiple competing priorities and identify and focus on the right things
- Will be a great communicator and team member, able to work effectively with staff in all parts of the organisation
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease www.owlstonemedical.com.
Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath - some are tell-tale markers of disease that our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect.
Our vision is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; we aim to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. The key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage drop to about 5% - unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
The Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
Owlstone is an equal opportunity employer and we will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on any characteristic protected by law including but not exhaustive to; grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status.
Due to the nature of our business, all employment is subject to satisfactory references being obtained and attainment of a Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) check.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes future share options and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone may be the place for you.