Group Financial Controller
Owlstone Medical are looking to recruit the newly-created position of Group Financial Controller to oversee the Group’s financial operations.
The Group Financial Controller will report to the Chief Financial Officer and will play a key part in enabling improvement to the Group’s financial operations and preparation for a potential future IPO.
This is an exciting new role with the opportunity to create a vision of Finance within the organisation.
Key tasks / accountabilities:
- Ensure delivery of financial information to meet Board and external financial reporting obligations
- Own the delivery of core finance processes, such as payroll, accounts payable and accounts receivable, overseeing the strengthening of processes and system improvements
- Liaise with external advisors to build a fit-for-purpose structure prior to a potential future IPO
- Manage a team of 3 staff, focussing on developing team members and building a fit-for-purpose function
- Maintain close working relationships with external auditors and accounting and tax advisors
- Work closely with HR, Procurement, Investor Relations and Legal functions to ensure both business operations and financial priorities are met
- Liaise with internal stakeholders to assist with the assessment and integration of new business development opportunities
- Assistance in drafting Board and associated Committee materials
- Be the overall owner of the Group’s technical accounting strategy
- Develop the Group’s internal share option reporting and accounting
- Liaison with Financial Controller - Reporting to ensure delivery of results in a timely manner
- Provide business partnering and advisory for the Group’s annual budget and project reporting process
- Significant ad hoc project work is likely to be required
- Previous experience of working in a fast-moving or growing organisation
- Previous experience of process improvement
- Previous experience in working in a Biotech/MedTech organisation
- Previous experience working in a NASDAQ or AIM-listed company
Experience / Knowledge
- Qualified accountant (IFRS) or equivalent qualification
- Significant post-qualification experience in a senior financial role within industry/commerce
- Working knowledge of U.S. GAAP would be preferable
- A good working knowledge and understanding of best practice internal controls-based environments (i.e. Sarbanes-Oxley)
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills and a good working knowledge of other standard Microsoft Office or equivalent tools
- Previous experience of Microsoft Business Central, or a comparable mid-sized or large ERP package
- Attention to detail, thorough and organised approach to working
- Commercial and business awareness, able to work cross functionally in a growing organisation
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease www.owlstonemedical.com.
Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath - some are tell-tale markers of disease that our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect.
Our vision is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; we aim to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. The key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage drop to about 5% - unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
The Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
Owlstone is an equal opportunity employer and we will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on any characteristic protected by law including but not exhaustive to; grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status.
Due to the nature of our business, all employment is subject to satisfactory references being obtained and attainment of a Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) check.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes future share options and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone may be the place for you.
To apply, please submit your CV and a covering letter explaining why you want to work with us by clicking on the 'Apply for Role' link below.