Head of Information Science
The Head of Information Science will be a key member of Owlstone's Senior Management team, playing a significant role in shaping and communicating the company's technical strategy as well as ensuring we deliver on business objectives. They will be responsible for defining our approach to data; bringing together analytical, chemical, biological and clinical measurements to produce scientific insights and answer important questions for our customers - in research, healthcare and detection.
The successful candidate will lead and manage a multi-disciplinary group of data scientists, informaticians and data engineers, creating our data infrastructure and transforming our data into actionable information that benefits our research and detection-product end users – both internal and external. They will be responsible for ensuring the team supports and enables our programmes and business objectives, with the capability and capacity required across a range of technical disciplines, spanning informatics, data science and data engineering.
Key Tasks / Accountabilities
- Technical Leadership – Planning and providing the Information Science capability and team structure to support and deliver the company Objectives and be responsible for the management and development of that team. Developing and implementing strategies and plans to support, contribute to, and integrate with, the organisation's annual business plan and long-term strategy.
- Lifecycle Management– Providing a structured technical framework for management of Owlstone’s Information Science tools and infrastructure from Initial feasibility to obsolescence. Building a sound understanding of Owlstone’s markets and the value we bring to the customer, and representing this in internal, customer and partner meetings
- Programme support – Supporting project planning and execution, ensuring that assumptions on technical approach, timescales and resource needs are realistic and helping the team to overcome obstacles to success
- Team Development – Using established Owlstone procedures, ensuring that all team members have the training and support infrastructure in place to ensure they are effective within their roles. This will also include regular performance monitoring sessions, assessing performance and giving key input to salary reviews
- Financial – Responsible for overall Information Science Department budget
- Representation - Representing the Department in key programme and project activities and taking part in Risk Management and Phase / Gate reviews. Working with all groups in the Department to ensure that work is carried out effectively and meets the needs of the business.
- Processes – Structuring the definition, implementation and monitoring of Department processes and procedures to be in-line with the company QMS and suitable for the work being carried-out
Reporting – Defining, monitor, and report suitable group and personal OKRs and KPIs (if appropriate). Working with the individual department groups to ensure they meet OKRs.
- Communication – Providing clear communication of company strategy, ensuring the team understands the bigger picture, and the context and value for their work. Ensuring open and effective communication both within the Department and with other parts of the business
Education & Training
- The successful candidate is likely to have a higher-level degree in a relevant data-focused discipline alongside suitable experience within a Senior-Level Management role.
- Team leadership – you will be tasked with leading, managing, and developing an effective team to support Owlstone’s business. With ultimate line-management responsibility for the Information Science team, you will ensure they are highly motivated, engaged and supported to deliver against the company objectives. The composition of this team and the roles that they cover will be driven by your vision of how Information Science will work within the business and how it will support the business functions.
- Change Management – Understanding and agreeing the level of change required as the company grows and evolves, the ability to engage and drive the changes and scale / evolve our Information Science approach and infrastructure accordingly, in line with the business, is essential.
- Communication – You will need the ability to bring together and communicate information from diverse scientific disciplines to technical and non-technical audiences, building understanding across broad multidisciplinary teams.
- Stakeholder engagement - to be successful in this role, you need a strong ability to effectively engage and influence stakeholders (e.g. in operations, programmes and projects, engineering, management, etc). A pragmatic and collaborative approach will be essential to success in this role.
Experience / Knowledge
- Will be an accomplished leader with a strong track record of building, leading, managing and developing high-performing information / data teams
- Will have expert knowledge in one of more areas of information / data science or engineering, backed by experience in a commercial setting, developing complex technical products or services, preferably working with metabolomic or other biological data
- Will be familiar with established tools and approaches in cheminformatics and / or bioinformatics and will understand the challenges of bringing analytical, chemical, biological and clinical data together to answer scientific questions
- Will relish the challenge of a fast-paced, dynamic start-up environment; able to manage multiple competing priorities and identify and focus on the right things
- Will be a great communicator and team member, able to work effectively with staff in all parts of the organisation
- Previous experience in relevant scientific industries, such as: Life Sciences, Pharmaceutical, MedTech and AgriTech.
- Ability to develop, communicate and, through your team, implement a technical strategy and roadmap for information science at Owlstone, gaining buy-in and agreement from all key stakeholders
About Owlstone Medical
Owlstone Medical (www.owlstonemedical.com) is on a mission to save 100,000 lives and $1.5 billion in healthcare costs through the development and application of Breath Biopsy®. This involves collecting volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and respiratory droplets from breath, which can provide information about metabolic activity and markers related to health and disease.
Breath sampling has substantial advantages for the early detection of disease and to enable precision medicine approaches to patient care. To realize these advantages, Owlstone Medical offers Research Products and Services for biomarker discovery and is developing tests in applications including cancer, liver disease, asthma, and environmental exposure. Our work includes partnerships with major organizations including AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, the Cleveland Clinic, and the NHS and our platform is in use at well over 100 clinical and academic sites worldwide.
Our leadership in breath is underpinned by our world-class and varied team, including systems engineers, clinical scientists, analytical chemists, artificial intelligence specialists and clinical trials coordinators.
The Owlstone group also commercializes a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defense.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a strong and vibrant team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes an Employee share options scheme and private medical insurance and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of a thriving start-up company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone Medical could be the place for you.
We do not accept applications from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list. If you are concerned that your application has not been received by Owlstone Medical, please contact us using email@example.com.