Health Economics Executive
We have a new position available for a Health Economist / Epidemiologist to work within our commercial team at Owlstone Medical. You will be responsible for providing key support to the commercial team with market opportunities for breath biopsy tests, conduct market assessments, and bring your knowledge of healthcare economics to develop return on investments and inform scientific and business strategy.
Key responsibilities within the role:
- Develop an effective process for assessing the market opportunities of the breath biopsy test pipeline.
- Conduct market sizing assessments for potential Breath Biopsy Tests to guide business strategy and test development priorities.
- Design and perform research studies into the best positioning Breath Biopsy tests within the clinical care pathway for relevant diseases to inform competitive analysis, maximise test benefits to patients and the company and guide reimbursement decisions.
- To understand public and private healthcare purchasing criteria for adopting breath biopsy tests
- Develop models of healthcare economics for key disease areas to allow the calculation of return on investments at various test price points and market sizes
- Support the calculation of optimum test pricing based on clinical positioning, payer purchasing strategies, and healthcare economics
- Perform health economic evaluation and modelling of clinical positioning for breath biopsy tests to inform scientific and business strategy
- Identify and evaluate opportunities for breath biopsy tests by leading review of application pipeline in close collaboration with science and business development teams
- Work with clinical scientists to optimize trial design to include health economics in support of reimbursement and regulatory approval for breath biopsy tests.
- Identify pertinent public research on healthcare economic studies and regularly present the results to the breath biopsy test team and senior leadership team
- Lead building out the health economic / epidemiology function within Owlstone.
- Qualified in to degree level in Life Sciences and/or healthcare economics
- Detailed knowledge of healthcare systems, health economics, and policy in key markets (particularly North America, UK and China)
- Working knowledge of regulatory and reimbursement pathways specifically for EU, US and China
- Understanding of healthcare systems and their impact on product development
- Extensive experience working closely with biostatistician and basic scientists to structure, manage and interpret clinical datasets.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to a lay audience and audience of healthcare professional peers.
- Proven experience of building health economic models
- Ability to work effectively within a team environment, and also with minimal supervision
- Ability to think strategically and logically
- Experienced with health economic modelling of clinical pathway positioning & reimbursement ideally in population screening, early detection context.
- Clinical trial design experience preferable.
- Background in Oncology, Hepatology, Immunology and/or Respiratory Disease preferable
- Pioneer mentality, willing to break new ground and work independently.
About Owlstone Medical
Owlstone Medical (www.owlstonemedical.com) is on a mission to save 100,000 lives and $1.5 billion in healthcare costs through the development and application of Breath Biopsy®. This involves collecting volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and respiratory droplets from breath, which can provide information about metabolic activity and markers related to health and disease.
Breath sampling has substantial advantages for the early detection of disease and to enable precision medicine approaches to patient care. To realize these advantages, Owlstone Medical offers Research Products and Services for biomarker discovery and is developing tests in applications including cancer, liver disease, asthma, and environmental exposure. Our work includes partnerships with major organizations including AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, the Cleveland Clinic, and the NHS and our platform is in use at well over 100 clinical and academic sites worldwide.
Our leadership in breath is underpinned by our world-class and varied team, including systems engineers, clinical scientists, analytical chemists, artificial intelligence specialists and clinical trials coordinators.
The Owlstone group also commercializes a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defense.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a strong and vibrant team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes an Employee share options scheme and private medical insurance and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of a thriving start-up company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone Medical could be the place for you.
We do not accept applications from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list. If you are concerned that your application has not been received by Owlstone Medical, please contact us using firstname.lastname@example.org.