The Laboratory Technician will support the Analytical Science Lab Team by carrying out routine laboratory tasks in an accurate and timely manner, following documented procedures while adhering to safe laboratory practices. The successful candidate will be expected to ensure that all lab processes involved with quality and health and safety operate smoothly. Also, candidate will be providing a supporting role on operational tasks to projects. The role is based in a lab environment, note that remote working is rarely possible for this role.
Key Tasks & Accountabilities
- Daily maintenance of Analytical Science laboratories: Keeping the labs tidy and organized, assisting with cleaning of laboratory areas, glassware management, daily lab checks, replenishing lab consumables.
- Implementation of Health and Safety processes: COSHH, Risk Assessments, Standard of Procedures, manuals.
- Equipment Care and Maintenance: fume hood management, pressurized systems management, coordinate periodical calibration/external service.
- Chemical Handling and Preparation: Carry out routine ordering chemicals, ordering and changing gas cylinders, preparation of standards for analysis.
- Documentation: Maintaining accurate and up to date laboratory records, logs, inventories.
- Other tasks as directed by the Group Leader.
The following competences form the core strength of analytical science department, you will have an awareness of the below competencies, and will not be expected to demonstrate practical experience in them.
- Research - The ability to conduct, objective, logical, and systematic method of analysis of phenomena devised to permit the accumulation of reliable knowledge
- Protocols –The ability of how to follow and validate protocols and understanding of the importance to spot, raise and resolve nonconformities and track through to a root cause analysis of any outside tolerance deviations
- Data Management- Understanding the pertinency of the data collection, data entry and verification process and data management systems
- Dissemination of Findings–The ability of reporting results using the various dissemination formats available for different target audiences. Understands the importance of clear communication adapted in a manner suitable for the audience
- Analytical Concept- The understanding of rationale, theory, and subject matter in a particular scientific discipline to allow the appropriate application within an analytical role. (e.g Applying knowledge of basic chemical concepts and theories to set research questions with appropriate confidence limits, choose correct analysis technique and proficient instrument operation).
- Facilities and Safety –Has the ability to assess the appropriateness of laboratory function against business deliverables and justify / implement the change when required. Also understands the importance of compliance to processes that are there to identify and mitigate workplace hazards
- Pre- analytical– Has the ability to design, implement and evaluate the appropriateness of sampling methodologies and sample preparation
- Analysis–Has the ability to perform routine and non-routine analysis and understands when the applied technique is fit for purposeand what associated quality control activities are required to ensurethat the technique remains within established ranges and limits. When technique deviates from those established ranges and limits will be able to effectively troubleshoot.
- Critical evaluation of data –Has the ability to evaluate and ensure the accuracy of data as well as spot real and non-real trends to provide an answer with confidence limits to either fulfil a customer contract or research question.
Education & Training
- The successful candidate is likely to have a degree in a relevant analytical science discipline
- Ideally have practical knowledge of working in a laboratory environment
- Experience of working in a laboratory environment desirable
- Biohazard safety knowledge desirable
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office tools
- Ability to follow procedures accurately
- Able to perform repetitive tasks to a consistent standard
- High attention to detail
- Flexible approach to changing priorities
- Good data entry skills
- Ability to work and communicate well within a team
About Owlstone Medical
Owlstone Medical (www.owlstonemedical.com) is on a mission to save 100,000 lives and $1.5 billion in healthcare costs through the development and application of Breath Biopsy®. This involves collecting volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and respiratory droplets from breath, which can provide information about metabolic activity and markers related to health and disease.
Breath sampling has substantial advantages for the early detection of disease and to enable precision medicine approaches to patient care. To realize these advantages, Owlstone Medical offers Research Products and Services for biomarker discovery and is developing tests in applications including cancer, liver disease, asthma, and environmental exposure. Our work includes partnerships with major organizations including AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, the Cleveland Clinic, and the NHS and our platform is in use at well over 100 clinical and academic sites worldwide.
Our leadership in breath is underpinned by our world-class and varied team, including systems engineers, clinical scientists, analytical chemists, artificial intelligence specialists and clinical trials coordinators.
The Owlstone group also commercializes a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defense.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a strong and vibrant team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes an Employee share options scheme and private medical insurance and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of a thriving start-up company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone Medical could be the place for you.
We do not accept applications from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list. If you are concerned that your application has not been received by Owlstone Medical, please contact us using email@example.com