Owlstone Medical have a new position available as Lead Scientist within our Chemistry Department, joining a growing and diverse team, working on our Breath Biopsy Research Products and Services. As Lead Scientist you will provide technical leadership in the pursuit of finding fit for purpose technical answers that bring value to a Programme(s) meeting its current objectives.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- The provision of a fit for purpose technical solutions that deliver value to the Programme
- Provision of subject matter expertise to the Programme including, where appropriate, collaboration with other subject matter experts.
- Delivering technical aspects as directed by the Programme Manager and day to day leadership of assigned technical team against agreed delivery needs.
- Technical management of research activities for the Programme to include the, consultation and review of technical requirements specification, experimental briefs, plans, study protocols and reports.
- Guide, review and make technical decisions
- Ensuring that a quality technical solution is delivered using the applicable Owlstone technical processes, tools, and standards.
- Provision of mentorship and development to the technical team on the Programme in partnership with the relevant Line Managers.
- Cultivating the culture of Owlstone Medical
- Training of team members, and communicate validated learning to help develop other team members along with being responsible for taking informed risks and making rapid business decisions
- Understands what questions need to be asked and what order they need to be answered to move the company towards its Mission Vision Statements.
- Will understand different types of research methods, the different sources of data (primary and secondary), as well as internal research operational processes and they recognised when each might be used.
- Will have a good understanding of what the results could possibly show from a clearly defined design.
- Will challenge all assumptions and can distinguish between real and non real trends and whether the processed data proves or disprove the hypothesis, leading to competent decision for next steps.
- The individual will be aware of the importance of reporting the results of their research, and of the various dissemination formats available for different audiences. They can clearly communicate results in writing and speaking, in a manner suitable for the audience.
- Will be able to provide evidence on provision of a fit for purpose technical solution that delivered value. With examples of technical design specification, experimental design, test, and dissemination of results.
Ethics, Quality and Regulations
- Understands the requirements behind the health and safety and ethics policies and will have evidence on how they applied it to every aspect of their daily work
- Will understand the necessity and how to practically apply GLP to their work, to ensure the quality of their technical solution
- Understands the requirement for peer review and has experience of when to seek and / or provide review
Requirements for the role
Education & Training
- Scientific background - Biochemistry / Chemistry / Synthetic Chemistry
- PhD in related Science
- LC/GC MS metabolomic method development
- LC/GC MS method validation and verification
- Demonstrable ability to provide an intuitive approach to problem solving
- The ability to 'zoom in/zoom out' on technical requirements and accurately access validity of technical documents
- Proven ability to interact with cross-functional teams
- Demonstrable experience of scientific integrity and technical accuracy
- Strong demonstrated ability to lead scientists / research associates
- Will be able to demonstrate hands-on team leadership skills
- Must be self-directed, organized, and conscientious
- Must have demonstrated the ability to work under pressure and with short deadlines to accomplish objectives
- Will communicate effectively with technical and non-technical personnel
- Excellent technical scientific writing, communication, and organizational skills
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease www.owlstonemedical.com
Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath - some are tell-tale markers of disease that our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect.
Our vision is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; we aim to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. The key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage drop to about 5% - unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
The Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
Owlstone is an equal opportunity employer and we will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on any characteristic protected by law including but not exhaustive to; grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status.
Due to the nature of our business, all employment is subject to satisfactory references being obtained and attainment of a Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) check.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes future share options and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone may be the place for you.
We do not accept applications from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list. If you are concerned that your application has not been received by Owlstone Medical, please contact us using firstname.lastname@example.org.