Manufacturing and Service Engineering Manager
Reporting to the VP of Operations the Manufacturing and Service Engineering Manager is responsible for the day to day management of the NPI and Manufacturing Engineering teams within the operations structure. You will lead the transfer to manufacture of products and processes from R&D/project teams to small volume manufacturing, including outsourced manufacture. You will fully develop and install internal engineering systems to provide an efficient and customer focused service support team. You will be expected to continually improve current KPIs, processes and systems directly linked to the RMA function. You will also provide practical solutions and apply innovative ways to inspire, coach and lead the Engineering teams within Owlstone.
Key Tasks & Accountabilities
- Defines and delivers a Continuous Improvement strategy for Owlstone Medical products. Ensures that project teams and OKR’s are clearly defined, monitored and achieved on a regular basis.
- Implement and develop customer service team, ensuring all internal systems are aligned with external and internal requirements.
- Takes responsibility for the successful transfer of new products, processes and working methods from the different business functions through to small-scale manufacturing.
- Improves manufacturing efficiency by analysing and planning work flow, space requirements, and equipment layout. Working closely with the Manufacturing team.
- Ensures that all current working practices and procedures are aligned with Owlstone Medical QMS. Plays a lead role in defining the structure of documentation in alignment with the Quality Department. Reviews and improves current documentation methodology for Owlstone products.
- Plays a lead role in the ownership and response to Service Support and customer returns, including responsibility for RMA’s, including logging and completion of complaints.
- Providing line management to the Engineering team, setting goals and objectives, measuring performance and identifying and implementing relevant training programs
- Drive structured and best practice thinking to develop future innovative technology in manufacturing
- Capital Equipment procurement experience from initial ideas through to implementation of equipment within a manufacturing environment
Competencies & Requirements of the role
- Has to be bright and delivery focused, with the drive and enthusiasm to meet objectives in a fast paced and challenging environment.
- Competent self-management skills to allow both structured independent lone working, and integration into project development cycles.
- Well organised and able to follow quality procedures as well as ability to identify and implement continuous improvements
- Candidates will be innovative, pragmatic and flexible and will be able to evolve current procedures and practices as well as introduce their own methods of driving Engineering projects through to completion
Education & Training
- Qualified to a higher degree level in a science related discipline
- Project management certification would be desirable
- Budget management experience within a SME
Experience / Knowledge
- Knowledge of medical device manufacture transfer from prototyping to low-level manufacturing
- Experience of out-sourcing and managing medical device manufacturing processes
- The ability to analyse data, share information and make recommendations for improvements
- Experience of QMS systems and the relationship between Quality and Engineering Leads by example and able to motivate the Engineering team
- Demonstrable experience within a medical device environment
- Results driven individual
- Previous experience of building and developing a technical team capable of providing a continuous improvement environment
- High attention to detail
- Flexible approach to changing priorities
- Organised and able to deal with multiple priorities and projects on a regular basis
- Ability to communicate at all levels of the business
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease www.owlstonemedical.com.
Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath - some are tell-tale markers of disease that our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect.
Our vision is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; we aim to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. The key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage drop to about 5% - unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
The Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
Owlstone is an equal opportunity employer and we will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on any characteristic protected by law including but not exhaustive to; grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status.
Due to the nature of our business, all employment is subject to satisfactory references being obtained and attainment of a Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) check.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes future share options and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone may be the place for you.
To apply, please submit your CV and a covering letter explaining why you want to work with us by clicking on the 'Apply for Role' link below.