Manufacturing Engineering and Service Manager
Reporting to the Head of Engineering, the Manufacturing and Service Engineering Manager is responsible for the day to day management of the NPI and Manufacturing Engineering teams within the Engineering structure. You will lead the transfer to manufacture of products and processes from R&D/Project teams to small volume manufacturing, including outsourced manufacture. The role will see you fully develop and install internal engineering systems to provide an efficient and customer focused service support team. You will be expected to continually improve current KPIs, processes and systems directly linked to the RMA function. Whilst providing practical solutions and apply innovative ways to inspire, coach and lead the Engineering teams within Owlstone.
Key Tasks / Accountabilities
- Defines and delivers a Continuous Improvement strategy for Owlstone Medical products. Ensures that project teams and Objective Key Results (OKR’s) are clearly defined, monitored and achieved on a regular basis.
- Implement and develop a customer service team, ensuring all internal systems are aligned with external and internal requirements.
- Takes responsibility for the successful transfer of new products, processes and working methods from the different business functions through to small-scale manufacturing.
- Improves manufacturing efficiency by analysing and planning work flow, space requirements, and equipment layout. Working closely with the Manufacturing team.
- Ensures that all current working practices and procedures are aligned with Owlstone Medical QMS. Plays a lead role in defining the structure of documentation in alignment with the Quality Department. Reviews and improves current documentation methodology for Owlstone products.
- Plays a lead role in the ownership and response to Service Support and customer returns, including responsibility for RMA’s, including logging and completion of complaints.
- Work closely with the Product Managers to define the life cycle management / obsolescence strategy.
- Providing line management to the NPI / Manufacturing team, setting goals and objectives, measuring performance and identifying and implementing relevant training programs.
- Drive structured and best practice thinking to develop future innovative technology in manufacturing.
- Define Owlstones approach to reliability/testing and verification activities across its portfolio of products
Competencies & Requirements of the role
- A delivery focused individual, with the drive and enthusiasm to meet objectives in a fast paced and challenging environment.
- Competent self-management skills to allow both structured independent lone working, and integration into project development cycles.
- Well organised and able to follow quality procedures as well as ability to identify and implement continuous improvements.
- Candidates will be innovative, pragmatic and flexible and will be able to evolve current procedures and practices as well as introduce their own methods of driving Engineering projects through to completion.
- Capital Equipment procurement experience from initial ideas through to implementation of equipment within a manufacturing environment
Education & Training
- Qualified to a higher degree level in a science related discipline.
- Budget management experience within a SME
- Project management certification is desirable.
Experience / Knowledge
- Knowledge of medical device manufacture transfer from prototyping to low-level manufacturing.
- Experience of out-sourcing and managing medical device manufacturing processes.
- The ability to analyse data, share information and make recommendations for improvements.
- Experience of QMS systems and the relationship between Quality and Engineering Leads by example.
- Ability to motivate and enthuse an Engineering team.
- Demonstrable experience within a medical device environment.
- Results driven individual.
- Previous experience of building and developing a technical team capable of providing a continuous improvement environment.
- High attention to detail.
- Flexible approach to changing priorities.
- Organised and able to deal with multiple priorities and projects on a regular basis .
- Ability to communicate at all levels of the business.
About Owlstone Medical
Owlstone Medical (www.owlstonemedical.com) is on a mission to save 100,000 lives and $1.5 billion in healthcare costs through the development and application of Breath Biopsy®. This involves collecting volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and respiratory droplets from breath, which can provide information about metabolic activity and markers related to health and disease.
Breath sampling has substantial advantages for the early detection of disease and to enable precision medicine approaches to patient care. To realize these advantages, Owlstone Medical offers Research Products and Services for biomarker discovery and is developing tests in applications including cancer, liver disease, asthma, and environmental exposure. Our work includes partnerships with major organizations including AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, the Cleveland Clinic, and the NHS and our platform is in use at well over 100 clinical and academic sites worldwide.
Our leadership in breath is underpinned by our world-class and varied team, including systems engineers, clinical scientists, analytical chemists, artificial intelligence specialists and clinical trials coordinators.
The Owlstone group also commercializes a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defense.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a strong and vibrant team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes an Employee share options scheme and private medical insurance and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of a thriving start-up company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone Medical could be the place for you.
We do not accept applications from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list. If you are concerned that your application has not been received by Owlstone Medical, please contact us using email@example.com.