Manufacturing Technical Writer
The purpose of the post:
Owlstone Medical Ltd is seeking a Technical Writer to lead the effort to remediate manufacturing documentation on several product lines to reflect current process and documentation formats, identify and implement process efficiencies and include all identified risk mitigations within the manufacturing process. They will work closely with Engineering Staff to observe the assembly and test processes before reviewing and updating the various documents within our quality system
Key responsibilities and duties:
The tasks required by the post holder will be varied, but will include:
- Understand the different elements of the manufacturing MDP structure and how they combine within the Manufacturing Data Pack and apply this across all product ranges
- Shadowing of staff during the build and test processes, identifying and specifying any practises which occur during the manufacturing processes, but which are not currently part of the documented manufacturing process
- Discuss, agree (with Manufacturing/Quality) and update where required, manufacturing documentation for Risk Control Measures and Traceability throughout the process
- Follow the company Change Request process for any changes made to currently documented practise
- Walk through the processes with the manufacturing team and advise where efficiencies could be implemented, either from a paperwork or practical point of view
- Create brand new manufacturing documentation where new processes are required
- Ensure the rationale throughout all documentation is clear and correct
- Create and/or correct BOMs
- Ensure that all required documentation within the MDP is the correct version or revision
- Ensure that all software used as part of manufacture is released, tested and correctly stored
Essential experience and skills:
- Educated to degree level
- Previous experience within an electro-mechanical assembly manufacturing environment
- Proven track record of authoring manufacturing documents, ideally in an medical device or engineering environment
- Ability to rapidly assimilate and deal with technical complexity and liaise with all levels of an engineering manufacturing team
- Able to understand and review technical drawings (Cables, schematics, panels etc)
- Experience of shadowing manufacturing personnel and identify where what they do differs to written instructions
- Highly organised, logical and methodical with excellent attention to detail
- Ability to demonstrate a self-motivated and highly organised approach to work
- Experience of working with minimal supervision in a fast paced, multiple disciplinary environment
- Good written and verbal communication skills
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease www.owlstonemedical.com.
Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath - some are tell-tale markers of disease that our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect.
Our vision is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; we aim to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. The key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage drop to about 5% - unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
The Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
Owlstone is an equal opportunity employer and we will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on any characteristic protected by law including but not exhaustive to; grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status.
Due to the nature of our business, all employment is subject to satisfactory references being obtained and attainment of a Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) check.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes future share options and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone may be the place for you.
To apply, please submit your CV and a covering letter explaining why you want to work with us and how you fit the role to https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/8d093e2b666045b78a587bb7f45ab808