MS Support Engineer
Working closely with Analytical/Assay Development and Breath Biopsy laboratories you will be expected to provide technical assistance and support to Gas Chromatography / Mass Spectrometry products (GC / GC-MS) - Hardware, Software & Applications including installation, repairs, preventative maintenance, and instrument qualification. The key function of the role being to keep downtime to a minimum to allow operational demands to be met.
- Provide technical assistance with laboratory instrumentation (Hardware and software)
- Diagnose instrument faults and implement repairs to resolve issues
- Oversee scheduled planned maintenance visits and be responsible for working with external vendor support to resolve issues in a timely manner
- Define and carry-out an internal preventative maintenance schedule for all TD-GC-MS instrumentation
- Assist with instrument installations and carry-out instrument qualification procedures
- Report equipment performance and issues to the Analytical Manager
- Define and implement critical-spares strategy for GC/GC-MS Equipment (and others)
Compentencies & Requirements of the Role:
- Be qualified to degree level in analytical chemistry, electronic engineering or a science related discipline
- Relevant experience supporting or servicing-GC-MS analytical products
- Proven ability to diagnose and resolve problems on GC-MS in a commercial scientific laboratory environment
- Excellent communication and presentation skills in a technical arena
- Flexible approach/attitude in relation to equipment support/repair
- Experience of TD installation and support highly desirable
- Knowledge of Markes International, Thermo and Agilent products highly desirable
Education & Training:
- Degree in Analytical Chemistry, Electronic Engineering or Science related discipline
- Markes/Thermo/Agilent specific training (TD, GC-MS) highly desirable
- Experience of working within an analytical laboratory/operational setting where minimal downtime is essential
- In-depth knowledge of equipment operation and interaction with other systems
- Demonstrable fault-finding to component level
- Flexible approach to changing priorities
- Able to communicate concisely and clearly to different levels of staff
- Able to meet tight deadlines
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease www.owlstonemedical.com.
Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath - some are tell-tale markers of disease that our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect.
Our vision is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; we aim to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. The key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage drop to about 5% - unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
The Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
Owlstone is an equal opportunity employer and we will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on any characteristic protected by law including but not exhaustive to; grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status.
Due to the nature of our business, all employment is subject to satisfactory references being obtained and attainment of a Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) check.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes future share options and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone may be the place for you.
To apply, please submit your CV and a covering letter explaining why you want to work with us and how you fit the role to https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/de9ef7d5697947dd939b37d2e82bd1cf