Owlstone is looking for a manager for its busy Project Management Office. In this role, you will work with a dedicated team of project professionals to provide an efficient and effective PMO service to the organisation.
We need an energetic project professional with a breadth of experience managing a project / programme management office in a scientific research and/or product development environment. You will be an innovative, decisive and delivery focused individual with the drive and enthusiasm to push forward relentlessly in a fast paced and challenging environment.
You’ll be involved in resourcing a wide range of projects covering scientific research, new product development, clinical trials, customer led research studies and business systems which underpin everything we do. The PMO has a strong culture of training and development and you will be expected to continue to champion this, growing the overall capability of the team.
This is a key position and success in this role will be central to the success of the company.
Key Tasks & Accountabilities
Working closely with the Head of PMO / Programme Delivery, you will take responsibility for the day-to-day operation of the three key PMO functions:
- Project Delivery – ensuring we have the right PMO resources in the right place at the right time for each project and programme, managing the career ladder and competence framework, training and continuing professional development of all PMO staff, forecasting and recruiting, some line management, organising the programme of team meetings and development seminars, providing coaching and mentoring to PMO staff.
- Centre of Excellence – ensuring that we have processes that are fit for purpose, management of templates and records, management of the project assurance function, knowledge management for risks and lessons learned, guidance on use of tools and techniques (e.g. MS Project, Cognidox, etc), project governance.
- Portfolio Management – ensure we have consistent, efficient and effective reporting for projects, ensuring that the senior leaders in the business have the right information in the right format to make informed decisions on prioritisation of project work, contribute to the investment appraisal decisions for new work, management of benefits and value delivered from project outputs.
In addition to this, you will also be expected to play an active role in the routine activities of the PMO. This could include acting as project assurance for some projects, contributing to the programme of development seminars and deputising for more senior staff as required.
The following competencies form the core strength of the PMO. As the PMO Manager, you will have an in-depth knowledge of, and be able to demonstrate solid experience in, applying these competences, primarily in complex situations, and be able to critically evaluate and adapt them as required. You will be able to develop new theories and/or methods if required and be able to effectively educate and train others. You will be recognised as an expert by your colleagues and will be frequently called on for advice.
- Leadership & professionalism - the ability to empower and inspire others to deliver successful projects and to act in a morally, legally and socially appropriate manner.
- Team management - the ability to select, motivate, develop and manage teams to achieve specified objectives and to resolve differences and conflicts between them.
- Stakeholder management - the ability to identify and effectively engage with all stakeholders, taking account of their levels of influence and particular interests.
- Planning - the ability to consolidate and document the fundamental components of a project and then prepare and maintain schedules for project activities and events.
- Financial management - the ability to develop and agree budgets for projects, and to control forecast and actual costs demonstrating strong commercial awareness.
- Quality management – the ability to ensure that the project outputs and processes through which they are delivered are meeting stakeholder requirements.
- Requirements management – the ability to capture, assess and justify stakeholders’ wants and needs to arrive at an agreed schedule of requirements.
- Risk & issue management – the ability to identify risks (threats and opportunities) and issues, assess them and plan and implement appropriate responses.
- Benefits realisation - the ability to manage the integration of the outputs of the project into business-as-usual in order to realise the business benefits.
- Governance - the ability to establish and maintain structures that define clear roles, responsibilities and accountabilities for governance and delivery of the project.
- Experience - you will have demonstrable experience in a similar senior role managing a PMO or a group of project teams.
- Knowledge – you will have an extensive knowledge of project management methodologies, tools and techniques, ideally holding more than one professional project management qualification (e.g. PRINCE2, APM PMQ, P3O, MSP, etc)
- Education – you will be educated to degree level (or equivalent), preferably in a science or technical subject
- Communication – you will have excellent written and verbal communication skills and be comfortable delivering effective presentations. You will have experience acting as a mentor or coach to more junior team members
- Information Technology – you will be competent using a range of IT systems at an advanced level (e.g. MS Office and Project, Atlassian JIRA and Confluence, etc)
- Experience of working within an ISO 9001 Quality Management System
About Owlstone Medical
Owlstone Medical (www.owlstonemedical.com) is on a mission to save 100,000 lives and $1.5 billion in healthcare costs through the development and application of Breath Biopsy®. This involves collecting volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and respiratory droplets from breath, which can provide information about the metabolic activity and markers related to health and disease.
Breath sampling has substantial advantages for the early detection of disease and to enable precision medicine approaches to patient care. To realize these advantages, Owlstone Medical offers Research Products and Services for biomarker discovery and is developing tests in applications including cancer, liver disease, asthma, and environmental exposure. Our work includes partnerships with major organizations including AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, the Cleveland Clinic, and the NHS and our platform is in use at well over 100 clinical and academic sites worldwide.
Our leadership in breath is underpinned by our world-class and varied team, including systems engineers, clinical scientists, analytical chemists, artificial intelligence specialists and clinical trials coordinators.
The Owlstone group also commercializes a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defense.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a strong and vibrant team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes an Employee share options scheme and private medical insurance and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of a thriving start-up company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone Medical could be the place for you.
We do not accept applications from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list. If you are concerned that your application has not been received by Owlstone Medical, please contact us using firstname.lastname@example.org.