Principal Scientist (Bioanalysis)
Owlstone Medical has a new position available as Principal Scientist within our analytical science department. As Principal Scientist, you will use your analytical science expertise in a discovery setting (diagnostic or therapeutic applications) to provide research strategies and innovation & research leadership for the early-stage development of diagnostic applications. In addition, you will oversee the outsourcing of multiple projects, typically using in vivo or in vitro models for biomarker discovery and proof of concept and will need to use your expertise to ensure the technical challenges of these projects are overcome swiftly.
Key Tasks & Accountabilities
- Provide input on a diagnostic application technical feasibility as part of business case portfolio generation
- Providing risk-based strategies for assessing applications technical feasibility and subsequent early-stage development
- Driving capability improvements to overcome technical barriers, which may include additional cap exp. purchases, research studies, expertise, identifying partners and/or subcontracting
- The key point of contact for external collaborations and strategic partner engagement including, university research programmes, application of in vivo and in vitro discovery models, pharmaceutical testing and manufacturing and pre-clinical research activities at CROs
- Liaising with research group leads, programme managers and technical leads, to continual review that approach is in line with business needs.
- Technical oversight of specific research activities for Departments and Programme to include the consultation and review of technical requirements specification, experimental briefs, plans, study protocols and reports
- Provision of mentorship and development of the technical team in partnership with the relevant Line Managers
- In addition to this, you will also be expected to play an active role in the success of the department. This could include acting as a technical reviewer for other projects, running or contributing to development seminars and deputising for more senior staff as required
The following competencies form the core strength of analytical science department, you will be recognised as a thought leader of the below competencies and will be able to critically evaluate, adapt and add to them, as necessary. You will be recognised as an exemplar and mentor by other senior professional and will be expected to demonstrate the practical application of them in complex situations as well as draw upon examples where others have sought your guidance in their application.
- Research - The ability to conduct, objective, logical, and systematic method of analysis of phenomena devised to permit the accumulation of reliable knowledge
- Protocols - The ability of how to follow and validate protocols and understanding of the importance to spot, raise and resolve nonconformities and track through to a root cause analysis of any outside tolerance deviations
- Data Management - Understanding the pertinency of the data collection, data entry and verification process and data management systems
- Dissemination of Findings - The ability to report results using the various dissemination formats available for different target audiences. Understands the importance of clear communication adapted in a manner suitable for the audience
- Analytical Concept - The understanding of the rationale, theory, and subject matter in a particular scientific discipline to allow the appropriate application within an analytical role. (e.g Applying knowledge of basic chemical concepts and theories to set research questions with appropriate confidence limits, choose correct analysis technique and proficient instrument operation).
- Facilities and Safety - Has the ability to assess the appropriateness of laboratory function against business deliverables and justify/implement the change when required. Also understands the importance of compliance to processes that are there to identify and mitigate workplace hazards
- Pre-analytical - Has the ability to design, implement and evaluate the appropriateness of sampling methodologies and sample preparation
- Analysis - Has the ability to perform routine and non-routine analysis and understands when the applied technique is fit for purpose and what associated quality control activities are required to ensure that the technique remains within established ranges and limits. When technique deviates from those established ranges and limits will be able to effectively troubleshoot.
- Critical evaluation of data - Has the ability to evaluate and ensure the accuracy of data as well as spot real and non-real trends to provide an answer with confidence limits to either fulfil a customer contract or research question
Education & Training
- Higher degree in Biochemistry, analytical chemistry or equivalent discipline
Experience / Knowledge
- Analytical science experience preferably within a drug development or diagnostic environment
- Demonstrable experience in providing technical leadership to a multi-disciplinary research team
- Proven experience in determining and translating technical requirements into a viable development strategy
- Experience in managing and prioritising a portfolio of research activities
- Experience in identifying strategic partners and setting up collaborations in either academia or industry
- Experience of working to GxP quality standards
- Metabolite ID and structural elucidation
- CMC, excipients and API analysis
- Molecular analysis, PCR, DNA extraction and protein analysis
- Experience in a range of analytical techniques for both large and small molecules including chromatography, NMR, fluorescence, mass spectrometry
- Stakeholder management
- High attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Flexible approach to changing priorities
About Owlstone Medical
Owlstone Medical (www.owlstonemedical.com) is on a mission to save 100,000 lives and $1.5 billion in healthcare costs through the development and application of Breath Biopsy®. This involves collecting volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and respiratory droplets from breath, which can provide information about the metabolic activity and markers related to health and disease.
Breath sampling has substantial advantages for the early detection of disease and to enable precision medicine approaches to patient care. To realize these advantages, Owlstone Medical offers Research Products and Services for biomarker discovery and is developing tests in applications including cancer, liver disease, asthma, and environmental exposure. Our work includes partnerships with major organizations including AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, the Cleveland Clinic, and the NHS and our platform is in use at well over 100 clinical and academic sites worldwide.
Our leadership in-breath is underpinned by our world-class and varied team, including systems engineers, clinical scientists, analytical chemists, artificial intelligence specialists and clinical trials coordinators.
The Owlstone group also commercializes a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defense.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a strong and vibrant team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes an Employee share options scheme and private medical insurance and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of a thriving start-up company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone Medical could be the place for you.
We do not accept applications from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list. If you are concerned that your application has not been received by Owlstone Medical, please contact us using firstname.lastname@example.org.