Product Development Technician
Owlstone Medical’s mission is to save 100,000 lives, through our expertise in trace chemical detection and analysis. We are building methods for disease screening and diagnosis based on detection of metabolic products in breath, as well as developing chemical detection systems to warn people of the presence of life-threatening chemicals in their surroundings.
We are looking for a Product Development Technician with experience of PCB assembly and troubleshooting to join our team in Cambridge. The successful candidate will be a hands-on, team player with a positive and flexible attitude to work. This is an outstanding opportunity to join an innovative team with a strong vision for the future
Areas of Responsibility
- Assembling small batches of prototype printed circuit boards for evaluation
- Electronics troubleshooting, fault finding and repair down to component level
- Carrying out and reporting on test plans to evaluate performance of designs under development
- Carrying out and reporting on acceptance testing of R&D and low-volume production board sets
- Assembling and testing electro-mechanical systems, including prototype chemical detectors
- Helping in the day-to-day running and maintenance of the product development labs
Requirements for the role
The successful candidate will:
- Be diligent, well organised and able to manage a prioritised list of tasks
- Have good communication skills, both written and spoken
- Be able to demonstrate the necessary skills to assemble and troubleshoot PCB assemblies
- Have a practical working knowledge of simple electronic circuits
- Be able to operate and show a working understanding of common electronic lab test equipment
- Have a good working knowledge of safe lab practices with electronic systems
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease www.owlstonemedical.com.
Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath - some are tell-tale markers of disease that our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect.
Our vision is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; we aim to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. The key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage drop to about 5% - unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
The Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes future share options and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone may be the place for you.