Owlstone Medical Ltd is on a mission to save 100,000 lives. To achieve this, we undertake a number of projects and activities designed to discover biomarkers associated with disease and we are now looking for a highly organised and self-motivated Project Coordinator to join our busy PMO and to work within our “Breath Biopsy Tests Programme”. The Project Coordinator plays a pivotal role within a programme workstream. Working closely with a Principal Investigator (PI), you will take ownership for coordinating all of the various work packages and activities within a workstream. You will also work closely with the other Project Coordinators and the Programme Manager to ensure work is managed and coordinated across the whole programme.
The Project Coordinator will be expected to support the PI and the Programme Manager throughout the full lifecycle of all project phases, including:
- Start Up – identify the customer/user and the scope of the project and work with the various stakeholders to define this in a project brief.
- Initiation – develop requirements and concepts, produce plans for the project schedule, resources, communication, risk and quality and develop a robust business case to form the foundation of the project.
- Execution – ensure that the work is managed with the focus on delivery. Understand the value and process behind good experimental design and verification and validation of results.
- Monitoring & Control – use a range of techniques and reporting to ensure schedule, budgets, risk, quality, scope, changes etc are under control.
- Closure – deliver the outputs, complete the documentation, learn the lessons!
Due to the nature of research work, the projects and activities can change direction rapidly and frequently so, whilst good project management practice is a strong requirement for the role, so too is the ability to be flexible and to react positively to changing circumstances. The results of experiments undertaken in the programme will often dictate the next steps and so the whole team need to be agile and ready to revise project plans and activities accordingly.
You should also expect to play a key role in the administration of Intellectual Property (IP) and Non-Disclosure Agreements (NDAs).
In addition to this, you will be an active member of the PMO. This could include acting as project assurance for other projects, running or contributing to the programme of development seminars and deputising for more senior staff as required.
Competencies as a Project Coordinator
The following competences form the core strength of the PMO. As a Project Coordinator, you are expected to have some knowledge of the competences and be able to demonstrate some evidence of applying some of them in uncomplicated situations:
- Leadership & professionalism - the ability to empower and inspire others to deliver successful projects and to act in a morally, legally and socially appropriate manner.
- Team management - the ability to select, motivate, develop and manage teams to achieve specified objectives and to resolve differences and conflicts between them.
- Stakeholder management - the ability to identify and effectively engage with all stakeholders, taking account of their levels of influence and particular interests.
- Planning - the ability to consolidate and document the fundamental components of a project and then prepare and maintain schedules for project activities and events.
- Financial management - the ability to develop and agree budgets for projects, and to control forecast and actual costs demonstrating commercial awareness.
- Quality management – the ability to ensure that the project outputs and processes through which they are delivered are meeting stakeholder requirements.
- Requirements management – the ability to capture, assess and justify stakeholders’ wants and needs to arrive at an agreed schedule of requirements.
- Risk & issue management – the ability to identify risks (threats and opportunities) and issues, assess them and plan and implement appropriate responses.
- Benefits realisation - the ability to manage the integration of the outputs of the project into business-as-usual in order to realise the business benefits.
- Governance - the ability to establish and maintain structures that define clear roles, responsibilities and accountabilities for governance and delivery of the project.
- Experience - you will have experience as a project coordinator or in a similar role
- Knowledge – you will have some awareness of the regulatory issues surrounding clinical trials and research studies, e.g. ethics, data protection, etc
- Education – you will be educated to “A” level standard (or equivalent) with at least one science-based subject
- Communication – you will have excellent written and verbal communication skills and be comfortable leading meetings and delivering effective presentations.
- Information Technology – you will be competent using a range of IT systems at an intermediate level, e.g. MS Office, Atlassian JIRA, MS Project, Confluence, etc.
- A degree in a science discipline
- Experience of using Agile / Scrum for delivering work packages
- Experience of working within an ISO 9001 Quality Management System
- A formal Project Management qualification (e.g. PRINCE2, MSP, APM, etc)
About Owlstone Medical
Owlstone Medical (www.owlstonemedical.com) is on a mission to save 100,000 lives and $1.5 billion in healthcare costs through the development and application of Breath Biopsy®. This involves collecting volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and respiratory droplets from breath, which can provide information about metabolic activity and markers related to health and disease.
Breath sampling has substantial advantages for the early detection of disease and to enable precision medicine approaches to patient care. To realize these advantages, Owlstone Medical offers Research Products and Services for biomarker discovery and is developing tests in applications including cancer, liver disease, asthma, and environmental exposure. Our work includes partnerships with major organizations including AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, the Cleveland Clinic, and the NHS and our platform is in use at well over 100 clinical and academic sites worldwide.
Our leadership in breath is underpinned by our world-class and varied team, including systems engineers, clinical scientists, analytical chemists, artificial intelligence specialists and clinical trials coordinators.
The Owlstone group also commercializes a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defense.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a strong and vibrant team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes an Employee share options scheme and private medical insurance and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of a thriving start-up company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone Medical could be the place for you.
We do not accept applications from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list. If you are concerned that your application has not been received by Owlstone Medical, please contact us using firstname.lastname@example.org.