Project Manager - Product Development
Owlstone is looking for a Project Manager to work on product development projects for our medical and scientific research customers. In this role, you will work with our multi-disciplinary science, engineering and software teams to lead and manage the development of research and medical products utilising Owlstone’s patented FAIMS technology, from concept design through to production.
We need an innovative, experienced and delivery focused individual with the drive and enthusiasm to push forward relentlessly in a fast paced and challenging environment.
Reporting to the Senior Programme Manager in this area, this is a key position of responsibility and your success in this role will be central to the success of the company.
Key Tasks & Accountabilities
Working closely with Senior Programme Manager and FAIMS technical authority, understand and develop the business requirements to the point where a project can be triggered.
You will then be expected to manage the full life cycle of the product development project, including:
- Start Up – identify the customer/user and the requirements, work with engineering to develop initial concept solutions and produce a project brief.
- Initiation – develop requirements and concepts, produce plans for the project schedule, resources, communication, risk and quality and develop a robust business case to form the foundation of the project.
- Execution – choose the right delivery methodology for the project and manage a team to “get things done”. Understand the value and process behind product verification and validation and ensure the product has a robust technical file suitable for evidencing compliance.
- Monitoring & Control – use a range of techniques and reporting to ensure schedule, budgets, risk, quality, scope, changes etc are under control.
- Closure – complete the documentation, learn the lessons, deliver the outputs, put effective post market controls in place and work with Owlstone Inc to ensure that the company realises the benefits of undertaking the development.
In addition to this, you will also be expected to play an active role in the success of the PMO. This could include acting as project assurance for other projects, running or contributing to the programme of development seminars and deputising for more senior staff as required.
The following competences form the core strength of the PMO. You will have a detailed knowledge of, and be able to demonstrate some experience in, applying these competences, primarily in intermediate or complex situations, and can critically evaluate and adapt them as required. You will be able to supervise others in applying the competences:
- Leadership & professionalism - the ability to empower and inspire others to deliver successful projects and to act in a morally, legally and socially appropriate manner.
- Team management - the ability to select, motivate, develop and manage teams to achieve specified objectives and to resolve differences and conflicts between them.
- Stakeholder management - the ability to identify and effectively engage with all stakeholders, taking account of their levels of influence and particular interests.
- Planning - the ability to consolidate and document the fundamental components of a project and then prepare and maintain schedules for project activities and events.
- Financial management - the ability to develop and agree budgets for projects, and to control forecast and actual costs demonstrating strong commercial awareness.
- Quality management – the ability to ensure that the project outputs and processes through which they are delivered are meeting stakeholder requirements.
- Requirements management – the ability to capture, assess and justify stakeholders’ wants and needs to arrive at an agreed schedule of requirements.
- Risk & issue management – the ability to identify risks (threats and opportunities) and issues, assess them and plan and implement appropriate responses.
- Benefits realisation - the ability to manage the integration of the outputs of the project into business-as-usual in order to realise the business benefits.
- Governance - the ability to establish and maintain structures that define clear roles, responsibilities and accountabilities for governance and delivery of the project.
- Experience - you will have experience in a similar project related role developing technology products
- Knowledge – you will have a knowledge of the NPD / NPI process and the regulatory environment surrounding new product introduction
- Education – you will be educated to degree level (or equivalent), ideally in a technical subject
- Communication – you will have excellent written and verbal communication skills and be comfortable supervising others and delivering effective presentations.
- Information Technology – you will be competent using a range of IT systems at an advanced level, e.g. MS Office and Project, Atlassian JIRA and Confluence, etc.
- Knowledge of using Agile / Scrum for delivering work packages
- Experience of working within an ISO 9001 Quality Management System
- A formal Project Management qualification (e.g. PRINCE2, MSP, APMP, etc)
About Owlstone Medical
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease www.owlstonemedical.com
Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath - some are tell-tale markers of disease that our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect.
Our vision is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; we aim to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. The key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage drop to about 5% - unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
The Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
Owlstone is an equal opportunity employer and we will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on any characteristic protected by law including but not exhaustive to; grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status.
Due to the nature of our business, all employment is subject to satisfactory references being obtained and attainment of a Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) check.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes future share options and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone may be the place for you.
We do not accept applications from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list. If you are concerned that your application has not been received by Owlstone Medical, please contact us using firstname.lastname@example.org.