Owlstone Medical’s mission is to save 100,000 lives and save health care providers $1.5B. With several major projects underway to develop disease screening and diagnosis based on detection of metabolic products in breath.
The role involves developing and maintaining software tools and platforms used to generate and manipulate data critical to our projects and products, alongside experienced control software developers, data scientists & algorithm developers. Our technology stack is python-based, and uses open source tools and libraries including Numpy, Qt, Celery, Flask, SQLAlchemy, PostgreSQL and ZeroMQ. Our test and documentation use pytest and sphinx respectively.
- Developing Python software for control and data processing applications
- Working with systems engineers to ensure correct operation of software on target hardware
- Establishing software requirements from project stakeholders
COMPETENCIES & REQUIREMENTS OF THE ROLE:
- A pythonic mindset with experience delivering projects in python
- An ability to work with colleagues from other disciplines such as electronics and chemistry
- Experience with Git or other version control software
- Familiarity with Linux
- A drive to produce effective, well-documented, re-usable code
- Great communication skills, both verbal and written
- Excellent attention to detail
- Familiarity with DevOps tools such as Jenkins, Ansible, Vagrant and Docker
- An understanding of modern best practices in software development (e.g. test-driven development, continuous integration, code reviews)
- Knowledge of C/C++ programming language
Education & Training:
- Degree in computer science or related engineering discipline
- Development of Pythion for Windows PC and Linux based targets
- Software lifecycle
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease www.owlstonemedical.com.
Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath - some are tell-tale markers of disease that our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect.
Our vision is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; we aim to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. The key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage drop to about 5% - unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
The Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
Owlstone is an equal opportunity employer and we will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on any characteristic protected by law including but not exhaustive to; grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status.
Due to the nature of our business, all employment is subject to satisfactory references being obtained and attainment of a Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) check.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes future share options and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone may be the place for you.
To apply, please submit your CV and a covering letter explaining why you want to work with us and how you fit the role to https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/3de46d13e4c74b83811716c98d0dc7ed