Owlstone Medical’s mission is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; our vision is to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. With several major projects underway to develop disease screening and diagnosis based on detection of metabolic products in breath and with our defence and security business growing, we are now looking for Physicists and Engineers to help us develop our new products.
As an Engineer at Owlstone you will play a key role in developing detection and diagnosis systems based on our core technologies for both our medical and our defence and security products (owlstoneinc.com). You will be tasked with bringing together electrical, mechanical, pneumatic and software components in order to develop and test innovative products throughout the development lifecycle. This role will require a hands-on approach with the ability to apply technical skill and knowledge to solve a wide variety of problems. You will need the ability to work carefully on specific engineering problems required in the development of complex devices capable of meeting international standards.
KEY TASKS / ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Design, implementation, control and documentation of test jigs and fixtures
- Assembling, testing and troubleshooting prototypes
- Electronic assembly and test
- 3D printing (FDM)
- Generating basic CAD and drawings
- Creating basic work instructions
COMPETENCIES & REQUIREMENTS OF THE ROLE
- Strong analytical and problem-solving capability
- Excellent communication skills at all levels within the business
- Generating documentation and appropriate level of record keeping
- Ability to work flexibly within a dynamic, multidisciplinary team
- An ability to work autonomously, taking accountability for delivery of task
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- Apprentice / NVQ L3 in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
EXPERIENCE / KNOWLEDGE
- Machining (Hands on workshop experience, eg, CNC mill, lathe, etc) - workshop management experience advantageous
- Prototype build and test
- Experience with new process introduction and/or continuous improvement
- Knowledge of electrical testing and integration
- Experience with basic pneumatic system testing and troubleshooting
- General Lab/workshop best practice (eg, 5S)
- Proven ability to find creative solutions and innovate
- Ability to balance multiple tasks and prioritise effectively
- 3D CAD (preferably SolidWorks)
- Problem solving and troubleshooting
- Basic electronic test skills
- Follow, create and document work instructions
About Owlstone Medical
Owlstone Medical (www.owlstonemedical.com) is on a mission to save 100,000 lives and $1.5 billion in healthcare costs through the development and application of Breath Biopsy®. This involves collecting volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and respiratory droplets from breath, which can provide information about the metabolic activity and markers related to health and disease.
Breath sampling has substantial advantages for the early detection of disease and to enable precision medicine approaches to patient care. To realize these advantages, Owlstone Medical offers Research Products and Services for biomarker discovery and is developing tests in applications including cancer, liver disease, asthma, and environmental exposure. Our work includes partnerships with major organizations including AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, the Cleveland Clinic, and the NHS and our platform is in use at well over 100 clinical and academic sites worldwide.
Our leadership in breath is underpinned by our world-class and varied team, including systems engineers, clinical scientists, analytical chemists, artificial intelligence specialists and clinical trials coordinators.
The Owlstone group also commercializes a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defense.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a strong and vibrant team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes an Employee share options scheme and private medical insurance and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of a thriving start-up company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone Medical could be the place for you.
We do not accept applications from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list. If you are concerned that your application has not been received by Owlstone Medical, please contact us using firstname.lastname@example.org.