Research Assistant (Medical)
Owlstone Medical’s mission is to save 100,000 lives and save health care providers $1.5B. With several major projects underway to develop disease screening and diagnosis based on detection of metabolic products in breath, we are looking for a research assistant to join our clinical laboratory team based in Cambridge, UK.
About the Job
Working closely with Analytical\assay development and product development teams you will be expected to carry out routine analysis and validation of samples using proprietary in-house instrumental techniques mainly focused on TD-GC-MS. As well as help setup and run other related experiments when needed.
We are looking for someone with laboratory experience and a background in science. The successful candidate will be a hands-on, team player with a positive and flexible attitude to work.
This is an outstanding opportunity to join an innovative team with a strong vision for the future.
Areas of responsibility
- Daily breath sample preparation
- Daily running of medical experiments as determined by the medical applications team
- Routine validation and data processing of samples as required by the medical applications team
- Maintaining accurate and up-to-date laboratory records
- General assistance with the running of the laboratories
- Assistance with ISO quality systems as required
- Other duties as assigned per qualifications
- Be qualified to degree level in chemistry or a science related discipline
- Experience of TD desirable
- Experience of LC/GC desirable
- Experience of MS desirable
- Experience of Gas handling techniques is desirable
- Experience of GC data processing techniques desirable
- Experience of working in a lab environment is required
- Experience of method development and experimental validation
- Proven ability or working in a meticulous manner with close attention to detail
- Demonstrate an ability to adhere to GLP and VAM to meet QC and QA goals
The successful candidate
- Has to be bright and delivery focused, with the drive and enthusiasm to push forward relentlessly in a fast paced and challenging environment.
- Must exhibit good problem solving skills
- Must have self-management skills to allow both structured independent work, and integration into busy project development cycles.
- Will value interpersonal and communication skills very highly; must be a team player
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease www.owlstonemedical.com.
Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath - some are tell-tale markers of disease that our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect.
Our vision is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; we aim to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. The key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage drop to about 5% - unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
The Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
Owlstone is an equal opportunity employer and we will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on any characteristic protected by law including but not exhaustive to; grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status.
Due to the nature of our business, all employment is subject to satisfactory references being obtained and attainment of a Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) check.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes future share options and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone may be the place for you.
To apply, please submit your CV and a covering letter explaining why you want to work with us and how you fit the role to https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/2cea212e62674dac9e99009bd0a203b7