Senior Applications Chemist (Medical)
Owlstone Medical’s mission is to save 100,000 lives and save health care providers $1.5B. With several major projects underway to develop disease screening and diagnosis based on detection of metabolic products in breath.
We are looking for someone with proven hands on experience of using GC-MS within a metabolomics environment. They will need to show the ability of extracting significant results from large data sets using a statistical approach. The successful candidate will be a hands-on, team player with a positive and flexible attitude to work. This is an outstanding opportunity to join an innovative team with a strong vision for the future.
Areas of responsibility:
- Technically lead and where required manage and plan analytical / assay development projects consistent with the overall product development plan
- Ensure experimental plans adhere to and include QC processes to ensure the collection of valid analytical measurements.
- Actively participate in, and seek input from, cross-functional teams (including algorithm, software, clinical, manufacturing, quality, and regulatory) to ensure corporate-wide alignment with the project’s objectives
- Create validation documentation that meet standards required for inclusion in required regulatory filings
- Other duties as assigned per qualifications
- Extensive GC-MS industrial experience
- Leadership experience managing scientist / research associates desirable
- Experience with regulated LC/GC MS assay development, including transfer, verification, and validation activities necessary for research and diagnostic product commercialization preferred
- Experience in ISO, CLIA, GLP and other Regulatory compliance requirements preferred
- Excellent technical scientific writing, communication, and organizational skills
The successful candidate:
- Demonstrated hands on team leadership skills
- Must be hands-on, self-directed, organized and conscientious
- Proficient in executing design transfers and in-process quality checks
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Complex problem-solving ability
- Proven ability to work under pressure and with short deadlines to accomplish objectives
- Ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical personnel
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease www.owlstonemedical.com
Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath - some are tell-tale markers of disease that our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect.
Our vision is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; we aim to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. The key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage drop to about 5% - unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
The Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes future share options and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone may be the place for you.