Senior Scientist (GC-MS)
Owlstone Medical are looking to recruit a Senior Scientist to join the Analytical Science team. As a competent GC-MS analytical scientist you will be working closely with the application and development teams where you will be expected to support and develop new medical applications using instrumental techniques focus mainly on TD-GC-MS.
Key Tasks / Accountabilities
- Plan and undertake experiments intrinsic to Owlstone medical assay / application / product development projects with a focus on TD-GC-MS method development.
- Ensure experimental work adheres to department processes
- Maintain accurate up to date Laboratory records
- Other duties as assigned per qualifications
- Experimental design
- Experimental report writing and information dissemination
- Lead troubleshooting activities
- Define and implement instrument preventative maintenance activities and schedules
- Provision of mentorship and development of the technical team in partnership with the relevant Line Managers
- In addition to this, you will also be expected to play an active role in the success of the department. This could include acting as technical reviewer for other projects, running or contributing to development seminars and deputising for more senior staff as required.
The following competencies form the core strength of analytical science department, you will have a detailed knowledge of the below competencies and will be able to critically evaluate and adapt them as necessary. You will be expected to demonstrate the practical application of them as well the ability to supervise others applying them.
- Research - The ability to conduct, objective, logical, and systematic method of analysis of phenomena devised to permit the accumulation of reliable knowledge
- Protocols – The ability of how to follow and validate protocols and understanding of the importance to spot, raise and resolve nonconformities and track through to a root cause analysis of any outside tolerance deviations
- Data Management- Understanding the pertinency of the data collection, data entry and verification process and data management systems
- Dissemination of Findings – The ability to report results using the various dissemination formats available for different target audiences. Understands the importance of clear communication adapted in a manner suitable for the audience
- Analytical Concept - The understanding of the rationale, theory, and subject matter in a particular scientific discipline to allow the appropriate application within an analytical role. (e.g Applying knowledge of basic chemical concepts and theories to set research questions with appropriate confidence limits, choose correct analysis technique and proficient instrument operation).
- Facilities and Safety – Has the ability to assess the appropriateness of laboratory function against business deliverables and justify/implement the change when required. Also understands the importance of compliance to processes that are there to identify and mitigate workplace hazards
- Pre-analytical – Has the ability to design, implement and evaluate the appropriateness of sampling methodologies and sample preparation
- Analysis – Has the ability to perform routine and non-routine analysis and understands when the applied technique is fit for purpose and what associated quality control activities are required to ensure that the technique remains within established ranges and limits. When technique deviates from those established ranges and limits will be able to effectively troubleshoot.
- Critical evaluation of data – Has the ability to evaluate and ensure the accuracy of data as well as spot real and non-real trends to provide an answer with confidence limits to either fulfil a customer contract or research question
Education & Training
- The successful candidate is likely to have a higher degree in a relevant analytical science discipline
Experience / Knowledge
- Experience of working with GC-MS systems
- Experience of GC-MS method development
- Experience of advance data processing techniques such as retention time alignment and deconvolution techniques
- Experience of processing primary GC-MS data into informative secondary data
- Experience of instrument fault finding, maintenance and repair
- Experience of user training and management
- TD method development
- Metabolomics or other Omics experience
- Development of methods in a CRO
- Working in ISO 17025 or GxP environment
- Stakeholder management
- Complex problem solving ab
- Ability to follow procedures accurately
- High attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Flexble approach to changing priorities
- Good data entry skills
- Ability to work and communicate well within a team
About Owlstone Medical
Owlstone Medical (www.owlstonemedical.com) is on a mission to save 100,000 lives and $1.5 billion in healthcare costs through the development and application of Breath Biopsy®. This involves collecting volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and respiratory droplets from breath, which can provide information about metabolic activity and markers related to health and disease.
Breath sampling has substantial advantages for the early detection of disease and to enable precision medicine approaches to patient care. To realize these advantages, Owlstone Medical offers Research Products and Services for biomarker discovery and is developing tests in applications including cancer, liver disease, asthma, and environmental exposure. Our work includes partnerships with major organizations including AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, the Cleveland Clinic, and the NHS and our platform is in use at well over 100 clinical and academic sites worldwide.
Our leadership in breath is underpinned by our world-class and varied team, including systems engineers, clinical scientists, analytical chemists, artificial intelligence specialists and clinical trials coordinators.
The Owlstone group also commercializes a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defense.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a strong and vibrant team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes an Employee share options scheme and private medical insurance and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of a thriving start-up company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone Medical could be the place for you.
We do not accept applications from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list. If you are concerned that your application has not been received by Owlstone Medical, please contact us using firstname.lastname@example.org.