Senior Firmware Engineer
Owlstone Medical has a vacancy for a Senior Firmware Engineer focusing on developing embedded code to drive our mobile chemical detection systems. Deployed in a range of chemical protection applications, Owlstone detectors are based on a proprietary, micron-scale ion-filtering technology. The ion filters are rapidly and precisely tunable, enabling a new level of detection and identification performance for hand-held, portable, and fixed-site systems for the defence, security and first-responder markets. Advanced control software and data processing algorithms provide re-configurable alarm capability, allowing systems to keep pace with changing chemical threats without hardware modification.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Writing and debugging ‘C’ code for PIC and ARM Cortex processors
- Helping in the selection of suitable microprocessor platforms for new designs
- Participating in hardware design reviews
- Close liaison with hardware engineers during initial debugging
- Writing Program specifications
- Writing Test specifications
- Writing Program and User documentation
- Working with other senior members of the team, helping to define the company firmware design standards
- Teaching and mentoring junior firmware engineers
The successful candidate will have:
- Fluency in the ‘C’ programming language
- An ability to write well-documented and maintainable code
- An ability to work independently but know when to ask for advice
- An ability to read and understand schematic diagram
- A good working knowledge of electronic test equipment (oscilloscopes, signal generators, DVMs etc.) testing and debugging circuits
The following are also desirable:
- At least five years' experience working in a commercial development environment
- Experience with PIC and ARM Cortex processors
- Experience coding in Python
- Familiarity with DevOps tools such as Jenkins, Ansible, Vagrant and Docker
- An understanding of modern best practices in software development (e.g. test-driven development, continuous integration, code reviews)
- An understanding of digital electronics
- A knowledge of common interfaces and bus architectures (UART, I2C, SPI etc.)
- Some knowledge of analogue electronics
- An ability to program in Verilog or VHDL with an interest in developing FPGA designs
- An ability to code in VBA
- Experience of LabView
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease.
Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath - some are tell-tale markers of disease that our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect.
Our vision is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; we aim to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. The key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage drop to about 5% - unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
The Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
Owlstone is an equal opportunity employer and we will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on any characteristic protected by law including but not exhaustive to; grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status.
Due to the nature of our business, all employment is subject to satisfactory references being obtained and attainment of a Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) check. Access to selected project information requires prior additional security authorization. Access to US technical data by employees requires prior Export Control function approval. Full clearance must be satisfactorily attained against all applicable project-security and US export control authorisations. Failure to meet any reference, BPSS, project-security or export-control authorisations may have an impact on successfully completing your probationary period.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes share options and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone may be the place for you. To apply, please submit your CV and a covering letter explaining why you want to work with us and how you fit the role to https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/6280a89cbe00420dbdd24c3097b4e24a