Senior In-House Counsel
Owlstone Medical are looking to recruit the newly created position of Senior In-House Counsel. Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, you will be responsible for overseeing the in-house legal operations at Owlstone Medical.
We are looking for a self-starter who is adaptable and capable of implementing and continuously improving the in-house legal function at this renowned breath biopsy industry leader.
This is an exciting opportunity to take on a broad role and make it your own, with plenty of room for strategic growth in a new, key role in Owlstone’s evolution.
Key Tasks / Accountabilities
- You will be responsible for drafting, reviewing, advising and assisting across a range of commercial relationships, including in areas such as the following:
- Research and Development including for Grant and Funded Development Projects;
- Clinical Trials;
- Intercompany Agreements;
- IP Licensing and Exploitation;
- Collaborations with leading laboratories; and
- Sales of Products and Services.
- You would be responsible for oversight of all day-to-day legal functions at Owlstone in the broadest sense, and would need to be comfortable adapting to and adding value in a wide variety of areas – supported by internal business experts and specialist advisers as appropriate. This would include the full range of risk management, including managing insurance coverage for Owlstone.
- Implement, improve and streamline legal processes, including renewal and expiry management, and having a maintaining records in a logical and accessible fashion. You would also curate template agreements, forms and processes that could be consistently used within the business, and perform internal training and education as appropriate.
- You would be expected to work across the business collaboratively with Finance, HR, Business Development, IP and related functions.
- The successful candidate would also be the Data Protection Officer for Owlstone, understanding GDPR and privacy law implications and implementing, maintaining, and advising on systems and process to ensure compliance with this important area of legal practice.
- The role will involve a combination of performing legal work in house, and managing a budget and relationships with external counsel as appropriate. The work will have an international dimension, so an understanding of and appreciation for the complexities of cross border legal work will be required.
As well as other areas where you can add value and drive success, which may include litigation and employment law.
- Previous experience of working in a fast moving or growing organisation would be highly desirable.
- A demonstrable ability to self-start, work autonomously and implement systems is required.
- An understanding of or proven experience within the medical, healthcare or related technology sectors would be highly beneficial.
- It would be advantageous to have some understanding of employment law, where possible.
Experience / Knowledge
- Qualified Lawyer, eligible to practice laws in the UK.
- Professional time spent in private practice is essential, with in house experience regarded as highly desirable.
- Strong, proven experience in commercial contracts, GDPR, intellectual property and related legal disciplines.
- Attention to detail and analytical legal skills.
- The ability to clearly communicate and in straightforward terms.
- Commercial and business awareness, and the ability to work cross functionally in a growing organisation.
About Owlstone Medical
Owlstone Medical (www.owlstonemedical.com) is on a mission to save 100,000 lives and $1.5 billion in healthcare costs through the development and application of Breath Biopsy®. This involves collecting volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and respiratory droplets from breath, which can provide information about the metabolic activity and markers related to health and disease.
Breath sampling has substantial advantages for the early detection of disease and to enable precision medicine approaches to patient care. To realize these advantages, Owlstone Medical offers Research Products and Services for biomarker discovery and is developing tests in applications including cancer, liver disease, asthma, and environmental exposure. Our work includes partnerships with major organizations including AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, the Cleveland Clinic, and the NHS and our platform is in use at well over 100 clinical and academic sites worldwide.
Our leadership in breath is underpinned by our world-class and varied team, including systems engineers, clinical scientists, analytical chemists, artificial intelligence specialists and clinical trials coordinators.
The Owlstone group also commercializes a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defense.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a strong and vibrant team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes an Employee share options scheme and private medical insurance and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of a thriving start-up company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone Medical could be the place for you.
We do not accept applications from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list. If you are concerned that your application has not been received by Owlstone Medical, please contact us using email@example.com.