Senior Mechanical Engineer
As a Senior Mechanical Engineer in the Systems Department you will play a key role in developing detection and diagnosis systems based on our core technologies for both our medical and our defence and security products (see owlstoneinc.com). The role involves leading mechanical design, testing and development in a fast-paced, innovative, multi-disciplinary environment.
Key Tasks / Accountabilities
- Design and development of mechanical aspects of complex multi-disciplinary products/ programmes for the medical and/or defence sectors; working closely with electronics, software and systems engineers as well as chemists and physicists
- Mechanical analysis of designs, including tolerance analysis, based on a strong understanding of mechanical principles and manufacturing techniques
- Design of prototypes and practical, hands-on lab testing of designs
- Creation of drawing packs for transfer to in-house manufacturing team
- Contributing to continuous improvement of mechanical design practices at Owlstone
- Mentoring of junior mechanical engineers and involvement in design reviews
Competencies & Requirements of the role
- Bachelors or higher degree, or equivalent, in Mechanical Engineering or related subject
- High level of proficiency in 3D CAD systems; preferably SolidWorks
- Proven track record in the development of products from early stage concept through to transfer to manufacture
- Experience leading development of mechanical design solutions
- Experience in designing for a range of manufacturing methods for metals, plastics and desirably ceramics
- Ability to work flexibly within a dynamic, multidisciplinary team
- Strong analytical and problem-solving capability
- Excellent communication skills, proficient in sharing technical experience at all levels
- Experience in Risk Assessment and mitigation (preferably experience with FMEA’s)
- Experience working to stage-gate product development processes and ISO standards (ISO 9001)
- Experience in FEA, mechanical simulations
- Experience working with pneumatics and microfluidics
- Experience in working in medical (working to ISO 13485 desirable) or defence sector (chemical detection desirable)
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease www.owlstonemedical.com.
Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath - some are tell-tale markers of disease that our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect.
Our vision is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; we aim to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. The key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage drop to about 5% - unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
The Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes future share options and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone may be the place for you.
We do not accept applications from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list. If you are concerned that your application has not been received by Owlstone Medical, please contact us using email@example.com.