Senior Mechanical Engineer
Owlstone’s R&D team develops highly innovative products to deploy its proprietary chemical sensing technology in a wide and growing range of markets including Medical, Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Defence and Security. The multi-disciplinary team is based in Cambridge, UK, and includes Microsystems, Electronics, Software, Mechanical and Chemistry departments who all work on designing, prototyping, testing and productising innovative instruments.
About the job
Owlstone Medical Ltd is currently seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer with experience in product development and mechanical design to join its technology development team. The selected candidate will manage the design and implementation of mechanical solutions – from conceptual design through to full production. This is a key position of responsibility and your success in this role will be central to the success of the company.
Your principal activities will include:
- Development of innovative and sophisticated products and systems.
- Delivering key product requirements through creative mechanical solutions.
- Generation of 3D CAD concepts and designs.
- Production of detailed drawings and manufacturing specifications.
- Managing timelines, resource, and budgets and reporting on project progress.
- Overseeing and contributing to the mechanical design and review processes .
- Ensuring design solutions are suitable for high volume manufacturing, incorporating industry-standard parts and processes wherever possible.
- Working closely with Owlstone electronics, chemical and sensor design engineers to establish system requirements and technical specifications.
We need an innovative, experienced and delivery focused individual with the drive and enthusiasm to push forward relentlessly in a fast paced and challenging environment. You will therefore need to have:
- A degree or higher degree in a physical science or engineering.
- At least ten years’ product development experience in an industrial or consulting environment preferably including medical devices and/or medical diagnostic devices.
- Design experience of complex system design using 3D CAD packages, preferably Solidworks.
- Experience of maintaining 3D CAD systems, preferably PDMworks.
- Experience of operating under formal design and quality processes such as ISO 9001 and ISO 13485.
- Knowledge of processes and best practice which will assist with formal transfer from development to manufacturing.
- A track record of engineering complex precision systems to defined specifications.
- An aptitude for finding creative, practical solutions to challenging design problems.
- The ability to communicate ideas and work flexibly within a dynamic, multidisciplinary team.
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease. Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath - some are telltale markers of disease, which our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect. They key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage it drops to about 5% - unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes future share options and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone may be the place for you.
To apply, please submit your CV and a covering letter explaining why you want to work with us and how you fit the role to