Senior Project Manager
Owlstone is looking for a senior project manager to join the industrial and defence side of the business. In this role, you will work with our multi-disciplinary science, engineering and software teams to lead and manage the development of advanced mobile detectors for toxic chemicals and explosives, from concept design through to production.
Reporting to the Head of the Project Management Office, this is a key position of responsibility and your success in this role will be central to the success of the company.
Responsibilities will include:
Project Initiation and Planning
- Understand the company objectives and priorities and create achievable, resourced, project plans that will help Owlstone to meet these objectives
- Clearly identify and help to resolve resources and capability gaps that will impede project and business progress
- Modify project plans regularly in response to changing technical and commercial needs
- Provide input into future project plans, product strategy, customer contracts and grant applications
Project Execution and Management
- Running regular team meetings, tracking actions, creating and monitoring project metrics and other informal reporting
- Providing the project team with clear priorities, deliverables and milestones
- Ensuring that people have the tools, capability and motivation to react rapidly to changes in the project plan
- Managing project risks and issues, escalating issues where necessary
- Formal reporting for senior management, programme leads, finance department external partners and customers on a regular basis
- Resolving conflicts, both with individuals in the team and between projects
- Providing justification for any changes to the project scope, deliverables or resource requirements
- Wrapping up the project documentation and recording and embedding any lessons learned
We need an innovative, experienced and delivery focused individual with the drive and enthusiasm to push forward relentlessly in a fast paced and challenging environment. You will therefore need to have:
- A degree or higher degree in a physical science or engineering.
- At least five years’ development experience in an industrial or consulting environment including hi-tech electronics, software or electro-mechanical systems.
- A project management track-record gained within a highly technical and team-oriented environment.
- A formal project management qualification or evidence that you routinely apply good project management practice
- Ability to communicate ideas and work flexibly within a dynamic, multidisciplinary team.
- The flexibility to also manage medical development projects (with training) as the needs of the business require.
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease www.owlstonemedical.com.
Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath - some are tell-tale markers of disease that our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect.
Our vision is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; we aim to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. The key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage drop to about 5% - unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
The Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
Owlstone is an equal opportunity employer and we will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on any characteristic protected by law including but not exhaustive to; grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status.
Due to the nature of our business, all employment is subject to satisfactory references being obtained and attainment of a Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) check.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes future share options and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone may be the place for you.
We do not accept applications from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list. If you are concerned that your application has not been received by Owlstone Medical, please contact us using email@example.com.