Senior Python Developer
We are looking for an experienced Python developer who is excited to work on cutting edge research that aims to transform medical diagnostics by enabling earlier detection of disease. At Owlstone, data and data engineering are essential in our mission to develop tests that will save 100,000 lives. You will play an intricate part in this mission, and will be a member of our data engineering department who is responsible for all aspects of the company’s data collection and analysis. You will work closely with other departments including chemistry, data science and clinical trials. This is a great opportunity to work directly with scientists in an exciting and rapidly developing field.
We use a multicloud environment, with our current technology stack involving Django, React, and PostgreSQL. You will have direct influence on the future direction of our technology stack.
Key tasks / Accountabilities
- Working closely with other disciplines and non-technical colleagues.
- Understanding business processes and designing data models around them.
- Writing flexible, robust and maintainable software.
- Ensuring the team’s automated tests adequately cover functionality.
- Maintaining our internal operational systems.
- Working effectively in a small team.
- Strong Python development skills, including packaging, testing and maintenance.
- Experience with (relational) database design.
- Proficiency with collaboration tools like git and CI/CD.
- Knowledge of data best practices including security and GDPR.
- Experience working in an effective agile environment.
- A desire to work closely with scientists.
- Experience with Linux/Unix development and system maintenance.
- Experience working with Django or SQLAlchemy.
- Experience with Django Rest Framework, Flask, FastAPI or similar.
- Experience with web development (e.g. React, node.js).
- Experience working with Apache Beam, Airflow, Luigi, or similar.
- Experience building CI/CD pipelines.
- Experience working with technologies such as AWS, Docker, Kubernetes etc.
- Knowledge of other tools used for data science (scikit-learn or R).
Education & Training
- Degree in computer science or related engineering discipline.
About Owlstone Medical
Owlstone Medical (www.owlstonemedical.com) is on a mission to save 100,000 lives and $1.5 billion in healthcare costs through the development and application of Breath Biopsy®. This involves collecting volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and respiratory droplets from breath, which can provide information about metabolic activity and markers related to health and disease.
Breath sampling has substantial advantages for the early detection of disease and to enable precision medicine approaches to patient care. To realize these advantages, Owlstone Medical offers Research Products and Services for biomarker discovery and is developing tests in applications including cancer, liver disease, asthma, and environmental exposure. Our work includes partnerships with major organizations including AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, the Cleveland Clinic, and the NHS and our platform is in use at well over 100 clinical and academic sites worldwide.
Our leadership in breath is underpinned by our world-class and varied team, including systems engineers, clinical scientists, analytical chemists, artificial intelligence specialists and clinical trials coordinators.
The Owlstone group also commercializes a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defense.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a strong and vibrant team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes an Employee share options scheme and private medical insurance and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of a thriving start-up company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone Medical could be the place for you.
We do not accept applications from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list. If you are concerned that your application has not been received by Owlstone Medical, please contact us using email@example.com.