Owlstone Medical’s mission is to save 100,000 lives and save health care providers $1.5B. With several major projects underway to develop disease screening and diagnosis based on detection of metabolic products in breath.
The role involves developing and maintaining software for PC and embedded targets for medical, defence and other sectors.
- Developing software primarily in C for PC and embedded targets according to project needs.
- Some development of Python software for control and data processing applications running under Windows and Linux
- A good understanding of source control/configuration management systems
- The ability to follow software lifecycle processes & communicate progress to non-software colleagues
- Experience interfacing analogue and digital electronic components and instruments
- The ability to produce clear, well-documented, maintainable code
- Great communication skills, both verbal and written
- Excellent attention to detail
COMPETENCIES & REQUIREMENTS OF THE ROLE:
- Experience with C language including the use of static checkers and other automated tools.
- An understanding of modern best practices in software development (e.g. test-driven development, continuous integration, code reviews)
- Knowledge of object-oriented software ideas and techniques
- Software design
- Developing under real-time operating systems
- Developing software to external standards such as medical and military standards
- Knowledge of Python programming language
- Knowledge of Qt and UI design
Education & Training:
- Degree in computer science or related engineering discipline
- Development of C / Python for Windows PC and Linux based targets
- Software lifecycle
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease www.owlstonemedical.com.
Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath - some are tell-tale markers of disease that our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect.
Our vision is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; we aim to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. The key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage drop to about 5% - unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
The Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
Owlstone is an equal opportunity employer and we will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on any characteristic protected by law including but not exhaustive to; grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status.
Due to the nature of our business, all employment is subject to satisfactory references being obtained and attainment of a Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) check.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes future share options and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone may be the place for you.
To apply, please submit your CV and a covering letter explaining why you want to work with us and how you fit the role to https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/4e29796cb7064a1584ed324d6b98652a