Owlstone Medical’s mission is to save 100,000 lives and save health care providers $1.5B, with several major projects underway to develop disease screening and diagnostics based on detection of volatile metabolic products on breath.
We are currently seeking a Statistician to be a member of our Biostatistics Team in the Clinical and Translational Science Department. Working in a cross-functional team, the candidate will support internal clinical programmes and our customer services business by providing expertise in study design, implementation of statistical methodology, and interpretation of results. The candidate is expected to contribute to strategic initiatives for the Biostatistics Team and help deliver on company Objectives. More experienced candidates may be called upon to serve as a resource for or to supervise colleagues on collaborative projects.
The key responsibilities of the role are:
- Contribute meaningfully to clinical research project discussions, including early project scoping/contracting stages.
- Perform appropriate statistical analysis at all phases of a research project, from clinical protocol development and study design through final analysis and reporting of results.
- Evaluate clinical research studies and prepare statistical analysis plans that provide sound approaches to support a continuum of study goals, from biomarker discovery through clinical test development.
- Apply appropriate statistical methodologies to analyze the data, including, but not limited to, hypothesis testing, regression models, multivariate analyses, machine learning, and network-based analyses.
- Program and analyze data sets using Python; demonstrate good programming practices through proper documentation and commenting; perform appropriate QA to ensure accuracy and consistency of results.
- Effectively communicate statistical methods and results to cross-functional teams as well as to broader audiences that may include individuals with a spectrum of technical expertise (including lay audience).
- Prepare comprehensive statistical reports, communicate findings to clinical research collaborators, and provide sound suggestions for validation of results in conjunction with the biomarker scientist.
- Maintaining technical knowledge and skills appropriate for the role, including staying current with innovative statistical methodologies in clinical trial design and analysis.
- More experienced candidates may be asked to provide input to the development of IRB/ethics and regulatory documentation, regulatory interactions, and responses to health authority submissions.
- An understanding of biostatistical methods (power/sample size analysis, hypothesis testing, parametric, non-parametric, multivariate statistical tests, covariate analyses), knowledgeable in Python programming language (experience with R and jupyter notebooks is helpful), and experienced in their application to clinical trial-based datasets.
- Ability to communicate complex statistical knowledge verbally and in writing to specialists and non-specialists alike.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, think and work independently, problem-solve, work in multi-disciplinary teams and multi-task.
- Proactive in your approach to work, with an independent, creative and open mindset.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Statistical experience working with CROs and the biopharmaceutical industry.
- Knowledge of targeted and non-targeted biomarker discovery.
- Experience working with omics data derived from clinical trial or epidemiology/cohort studies.
- Experience with observational, longitudinal, interventional, or other clinical trials.
- Experience working closely with clinical biologists and translational scientists to analyze and interpret clinical datasets.
- Master's degree or greater in statistics or a related discipline.
- Strong publication record or other demonstratable track record of performance and collaboration is preferred.
About Owlstone Medical
Owlstone Medical (www.owlstonemedical.com) is on a mission to save 100,000 lives and $1.5 billion in healthcare costs through the development and application of Breath Biopsy®. This involves collecting volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and respiratory droplets from breath, which can provide information about metabolic activity and markers related to health and disease.
Breath sampling has substantial advantages for the early detection of disease and to enable precision medicine approaches to patient care. To realize these advantages, Owlstone Medical offers Research Products and Services for biomarker discovery and is developing tests in applications including cancer, liver disease, asthma, and environmental exposure. Our work includes partnerships with major organizations including AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, the Cleveland Clinic, and the NHS and our platform is in use at well over 100 clinical and academic sites worldwide.
Our leadership in breath is underpinned by our world-class and varied team, including systems engineers, clinical scientists, analytical chemists, artificial intelligence specialists and clinical trials coordinators.
The Owlstone group also commercializes a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defense.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a strong and vibrant team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes an Employee share options scheme and private medical insurance and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of a thriving start-up company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone Medical could be the place for you.
We do not accept applications from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list. If you are concerned that your application has not been received by Owlstone Medical, please contact us using firstname.lastname@example.org.