North Carolina, United States
Owlstone Medical’s mission is to save 100,000 patient lives and save health care providers $1.5B; several major projects are underway to develop disease screening and diagnostics based on detection of volatile metabolic products in breath.
We are currently seeking a scientist with a strong publication record and excellent oral & written communication skills to join our US-based Breath Biopsy Center of Excellence, located in Research Triangle Park, NC. The successful candidate will be a part of a multi-disciplinary team with extensive experience in metabolism, biomarker discovery, and precision medicine, working to accelerate the awareness and adoption of Breath Biopsy as a valuable tool for biomedical researchers and clinicians.
The major functions for this role will be to provide scientific context around breath-based clinical study data, disseminate scientific findings to deliver customer-enabling insights, and to engage customers around study design to support business development.
The Study Scientist will take overall scientific responsibility for each study in their portfolio. They will be responsible for leading the scientific interpretation of breath-based VOC data for clinical research projects and encapsulating results to elucidate a finite set of logical conclusions from these datasets and available literature/experience. Specifically, the role involves evaluation of study design and study analysis, data interpretation, and communication through presentations and written reports. The successful candidate will also be expected to:
- Apply subject-matter expertise in biochemistry of disease to interpret complex sets of study data to generate scientifically sound conclusions and build strong relationships and beneficial partnerships.
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with clients and internal stakeholders at all stages of work, from initial study design to generation of written reports and data presentations.
- Prioritize across a rolling portfolio of projects, balancing according to customer and business needs. Work with internal stakeholders (Clinical Trials Team, Study Delivery Manager) to maintain agreed study schedules and customer expectations.
- Serve as a technical liaison to Sales and Marketing to develop new and expand existing client relationships; travel to client sites and conferences and workshops to build and develop a strong base of support for Breath Biopsy in the scientific research community.
Competencies and Requirements:
- Education and Training: An advanced degree (PhD) with a focus in biochemistry and postdoctoral or equivalent research experience.
- Experience & Knowledge: Practical knowledge of metabolism and/or ’omic datasets with experience in clinical study design and disease models (particularly respiratory, hepatic, infectious disease and/or oncology spaces) is desired. Demonstrated ability to take initiative, think critically, and work independently as evidenced by a strong record of peer-reviewed publication.
- Critical Skillsets: Excellent written and oral communication skills allowing engagement with a diverse range of stakeholders (life scientists, analytical and biochemists, sales & marketing). Critical thinker with the ability to synthesize conclusions from complex data, integrate these with biological context, and communicate the results to internal and external customers. Ability to rapidly become well-versed in relevant scientific literature and extend those observations to sponsor studies. Effective decision making and ability to prioritize to deliver projects in a fast-paced environment. Team-oriented and customer-focused; strong alignment to company strategy and corporate culture.
About Owlstone Medical
Owlstone Medical (www.owlstonemedical.com) is on a mission to save 100,000 lives and $1.5 billion in healthcare costs through the development and application of Breath Biopsy®. This involves collecting volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and respiratory droplets from breath, which can provide information about metabolic activity and markers related to health and disease.
Breath sampling has substantial advantages for the early detection of disease and to enable precision medicine approaches to patient care. To realize these advantages, Owlstone Medical offers Research Products and Services for biomarker discovery and is developing tests in applications including cancer, liver disease, asthma, and environmental exposure. Our work includes partnerships with major organizations including AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, the Cleveland Clinic, and the NHS and our platform is in use at well over 100 clinical and academic sites worldwide.
Our leadership in breath is underpinned by our world-class and varied team, including systems engineers, clinical scientists, analytical chemists, artificial intelligence specialists and clinical trials coordinators.
The Owlstone group also commercializes a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defense.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a strong and vibrant team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes an Employee share options scheme and private medical insurance and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of a thriving start-up company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone Medical could be the place for you.
We do not accept applications from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list. If you are concerned that your application has not been received by Owlstone Medical, please contact us using email@example.com.