As part of Owlstone Medical's growing operation we are now seeking Study Specialists to build the capability of our Breath Biopsy Service Delivery team.
Each Study Specialist will lead a rolling portfolio of Breath Biopsy studies, designed to discover and validate biomarkers in exhaled breath, using Owlstone's breath analysis platform. The successful candidate will lead a range of studies, including those run for external clients and research partners, as well as studies contributing to Owlstone's self-directed research.
The Study Specialist will be an exceptionally effective scientist, demonstrated by a strong publication record. Translating metabolomics data and resulting scientific findings with excellent communication skills will be an imperative for facilitating the research of our clients across the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry, as well as in academic research.
The Study Specialist will take overall scientific responsibility for each study in their portfolio. They will be responsible for leading the generation and scientific interpretation of metabolomic data for research projects from clients across the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry. Specifically, the role involves study design, data interpretation and communication through presentations and written reports. The successful candidate will also be expected to:
- Approve all key study documents and amendments and ensure that each study is conducted and correctly documented in accordance with the agreed study plan.
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with clients at all stages of work; from initial study design, to reporting of preliminary results and delivery of the final report.
- Interpret complex sets of metabolomic study data to generate scientifically sound conclusions.
- Prepare and deliver data presentations and written final reports for clients.
- Prioritise across a rolling portfolio of projects, balancing according to customer and business needs.
- Work collaboratively with Sales and Marketing to support technical-content needs.
- Travel up to 25% of the time to client sites, conferences and workshops to report on study results or serve as a technical liaison during the sales process.
Key Tasks & Accountabilities
- Acting as the technical lead for revenue-generating laboratory-based analytical studies, applying diverse techniques to a wide range of test items and study types.
- Directing studies in accordance with Study Plan, SOPs and applicable regulatory standards.
- Holding study kick-off meetings in line with company procedures.
- Conducting peer review of data/reports generated by colleagues.
- Providing high-quality scientific studies to sponsors.
- Ensuring adequate and timely response to audits.
- Maintaining agreed schedules for the performance and reporting of studies.
- Monitoring the transfer of all study data, test items and reports to the relevant archive at the conclusion of a study, in accordance with company standard procedures.
- Developing new, and building on, existing client and customer relationships whilst promoting the services that the company can offer.
- Contributing to and adhering to company standard operating procedures, with particular regard to applicable regulatory requirements
Competencies & Requirements of the role
- Practical knowledge of metabolomics data sets, preferably in respiratory disease, liver disease or oncology.
- Experienced in the interpretation of analytical data.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A sound understanding of good scientific practice.
- A strong publication record.
- Proactive in your approach to work.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, think and work independently, problem-solve, work in teams and multitask.
- Able to identify and highlight own training needs, and proactively upskill.
Education & Training
- PhD, or equivalent, in biology or biochemistry or an analytical, chemical or related scientific field with demonstrated, relevant experience
Experience & Knowledgge
- Experience of working in a regulated environment is desirable
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease. Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath - some are tell-tale markers of disease that our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect.
Our vision is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; we aim to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. The key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage drop to about 5% - unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
The Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
Owlstone is an equal opportunity employer and we will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on any characteristic protected by law including but not exhaustive to; grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status.
Due to the nature of our business, all employment is subject to satisfactory references being obtained and attainment of a Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) check.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes share options and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone may be the place for you.