Summer Internship 2020
Owlstone Medical’s mission is to save 100,000 lives and save health care providers $1.5B, with several major projects underway to develop disease screening and diagnosis based on detection of metabolic products in breath.
Owlstone is offering internship placements in its development teams for the summer of 2020. Successful applicants will join Owlstone for a period of up to 3 months, working closely with a supervisor who will act as their line manager and plan / co-ordinate their daily activities. During the placement, interns will learn about and contribute to the development of Owlstone’s Breath Biopsy technique for non-invasive measurement of metabolic compounds. Projects may involve helping to design and test medical and non-medical devices, development of analytical techniques for chemical analysis of breath samples, research into the biochemistry of disease mechanisms, and commercial / competitive landscape analysis for future Breath Biopsy applications.
Internships available in: Algorithms & Data Software, Control Software, Electronics, Chemistry, Clinical and Translational Science, Clinical Trials, Business Lead Generation, and Systems & Mechanical Engineering.
Closing Date for Applications: Friday 21st February 2020.
Assessment days: 17th and 18th March 2020.
Projects and work areas will be determined according to candidates’ skill sets and interests, but will involve some or all of the following:
- Helping to design, plan, run and report on experiments
- Helping to build and test products and prototypes
- Researching product requirements and competitive landscape
- Assisting with business processes and administration
Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate:
- A strong motivation and drive to work for Owlstone and be capable of working with a moderate level of supervision
- The ability to understand new concepts quickly, have a practical, logical approach to problem solving and to adapt to changing situations and new information
- A background and strong interest in biochemistry, chemistry, engineering, physics, computer- or data science
- Hands-on experimental skills and an aptitude for practical laboratory work
Education and Training
- Summer interns will typically be finishing their penultimate year of their degree about to take on their final year in subjects with relevance to one or more areas of Owlstone’s business.
- Owlstone will consider candidates with skills relevant to the areas of the business listed above
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease www.owlstonemedical.com.
Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath - some are tell-tale markers of disease that our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect.
Our vision is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; we aim to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. The key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage drop to about 5% - unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
The Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
Owlstone is an equal opportunity employer and we will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on any characteristic protected by law including but not exhaustive to; grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status.
Due to the nature of our business, all employment is subject to satisfactory references being obtained and attainment of a Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) check.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes future share options and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone may be the place for you.
We do not accept applications from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list. If you are concerned that your application has not been received by Owlstone Medical, please contact us using firstname.lastname@example.org