Systems Engineer – Electro-mechanical
Owlstone Medical’s mission is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; our vision is to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. With several major projects underway to develop disease screening and diagnosis based on detection of metabolic products in breath and with our defence and security business growing, we are now looking for Systems Engineers to help us develop our new products.
About the job:
As a Systems Engineer at Owlstone you will play a key role in developing detection and diagnosis systems based on our core technologies for both our medical and our defence and security products (see owlstoneinc.com). You will be tasked with bringing together electrical, mechanical, pneumatic and software components in order to develop innovative prototypes, products and systems. This role will require a hands-on approach with the ability to apply technical skill and knowledge to solve a wide variety of problems. You will need the ability to work carefully on specific engineering problems required in the development of complex devices capable of meeting internationally accepted standards.
Your principal activities will include:
- Working on medical/diagnostic and/or defence and security device development projects from initial concept through to release to market including product definition, systems architecture, design & development, and transfer to manufacture
- Using a blend of experimental work and theoretical models to develop an understanding of system or component operation in order to solve design problems.
- Being the first point of contact for problems with prototype systems – when something goes wrong we’ll rely on you to be able to understand the problem and engage with the right specialists (electronics, software, mechanics etc) to develop a fix.
- Supporting product development to international standards. This includes assisting in the development of full Design History files for Medical Devices.
- Analysing data from experiments using a combination of in house tools and code you will develop yourself, to inform decisions about system design, part selection and device optimisation.
- Supporting the formulation of technical bids and proposals.
The individual has to be exceptionally bright, delivery focused and with the drive and enthusiasm to push forward relentlessly in a fast paced and challenging environment. The successful candidate will have:
- A bachelors or higher degree in a physical science or engineering
- Experience in design and development of prototype or commercial electro-mechanical products
- The ability to support all aspects of an electro-mechanical product development with a speciality in one aspect of it (electronics, software, mechanical design or chemistry)
- Ability to manage and communicate ideas clearly in a strongly team-orientated and technical environment
- Experience with developing products to international standards (ISO 13485, ISO 9001 etc)
- Working knowledge at least one computer language (Python (preferred), C, Java, C++, C#, Matlab) or working knowledge of engineering development tools (e.g. 3D CAD, Matlab, Labview, Comsol etc.)
- The ability to work flexibly within a dynamic, multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to work on UK and US defence and security projects
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease www.owlstonemedical.com.
Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath - some are tell-tale markers of disease that our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect.
Our vision is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; we aim to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. The key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage drop to about 5% - unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
The Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
Owlstone is an equal opportunity employer and we will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on any characteristic protected by law including but not exhaustive to; grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status.
Due to the nature of our business, all employment is subject to satisfactory references being obtained and attainment of a Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) check.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes future share options and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone may be the place for you.