Systems & Mechanical Team Lead
The Systems & Mechanical Engineering Team Lead reports to the Head of Engineering and is responsible for leading and line-managing a team of systems and mechanical engineers, who design, build and test internal products. The key responsibilities of the role are:
- Seen as the go to person in all aspects of systems and mechanical engineering design.
- Develop Owlstone’s skills in designing mechanical systems and assemblies in a wide range of materials from plastics to ceramics to metals for both low and high volume manufacture.
- Driving continuous improvement in systems and mechanical engineering and the tools and processes used.
- Understanding the process needed to develop medical products from concept to patient, in alignment with business and regulatory requirements.
- Leading technical review and internal training in systems and mechanical engineering.
- Making strong individual technical contributions to projects.
Team Leadership and Management
- Setting and maintaining clear expectations and purpose for the team and the individuals, ensuring each team member plays their part in delivering the company Objectives.
- Ensuring the team has the capability and capacity to support the company Objectives.
- Empowering the team to work effectively, embrace change and reach its full potential.
- Creating a coaching culture in the team with a safe environment where constructive, timely feedback, active listening and employee wellbeing are supported.
- Managing performance through regular measurement, communication and appropriate corrective action to ensure that you have a high-performing and engaged team.
- Being a role model for the Owlstone Culture and Values.
Competencies & Requirements of the Role
- The demonstrated experience to lead, manage, support and develop a high-performing engineering team, embedding the companies values, culture and behaviours.
- Ability to drive the personal development of the team through the annual appraisal / PDP process.
- The ability to build strong professional relationships with a wide variety of colleagues working within a matrix organisation.
- Excellent all-round communication skills.
- A proactive approach to work.
- Ability to explain complex concepts to non-subject matter experts.
- Able to demonstrate a track record of effective communication with stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, think and work independently, problem-solve, work in teams and multitask.
Education & Training
- Degree, or equivalent in a engineering or physical science.
Experience / Knowledge
- Demonstrated experience of leading and managing technical teams, preferably in a commercial environment.
- Experience of defining and applying design controls to ISO9001 quality standards.
- Experience of working within medical device design and ISO13485 quality standards.
- Six sigma and associated working practices.
About Owlstone Medical
Owlstone Medical (www.owlstonemedical.com) is on a mission to save 100,000 lives and $1.5 billion in healthcare costs through the development and application of Breath Biopsy®. This involves collecting volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and respiratory droplets from breath, which can provide information about metabolic activity and markers related to health and disease.
Breath sampling has substantial advantages for the early detection of disease and to enable precision medicine approaches to patient care. To realize these advantages, Owlstone Medical offers Research Products and Services for biomarker discovery and is developing tests in applications including cancer, liver disease, asthma, and environmental exposure. Our work includes partnerships with major organizations including AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, the Cleveland Clinic, and the NHS and our platform is in use at well over 100 clinical and academic sites worldwide.
Our leadership in breath is underpinned by our world-class and varied team, including systems engineers, clinical scientists, analytical chemists, artificial intelligence specialists and clinical trials coordinators.
The Owlstone group also commercializes a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defense.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a strong and vibrant team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes an Employee share options scheme and private medical insurance and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of a thriving start-up company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone Medical could be the place for you.
We do not accept applications from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list. If you are concerned that your application has not been received by Owlstone Medical, please contact us using firstname.lastname@example.org.