As part of Owlstone Medical’s growing operation we are now seeking a Study Scientist to be an integral member of our Clinical and Translational Science group.
The successful candidate will be a scientist with a strong publication record and excellent communication skills. They will be tasked with interpreting and translating metabolomics data and resulting scientific findings to support the research of our clients across the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries as well as the broader research community. The successful candidate will work with Clinical Trial Coordinators and Project Managers to coordinate the output of our research such that we deliver high quality reports to our clients in accordance with their timelines.
The Study Scientist will be responsible for the all stages of client delivery including study design, data interpretation and reporting.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with clients through multiple contract stages; from pre-sales support, through initial study design, reporting of preliminary results, to delivery of the final report (laboratory work not required)
- Work with data analysts, biostatisticians and clinical scientists to elucidate a finite set of logical conclusions from complex datasets
- Prepare and deliver presentations and written final reports for clients
- Work with Clinical Trials Coordinators and Project Managers to prioritize work and ensure consistency of projects with expected timelines and deliverables
- Work collaboratively with Sales and Marketing to generate supporting technical content
- Travel up to 10% of the time to client sites, conferences and workshops to present study results or serve as a technical liaison during the sales process
Key Tasks / Accountabilities
- Act as a Study Scientist for multiple studies to which you are appointed
- Deliver the outcome of the clinical trial(s) to which you are appointed to the customer (usually in the form of a presentation and a report)
- Work with Clinical Trial Coordinators and Project Managers to maintain agreed schedules for the performance and reporting of studies
- Develop new, and build on existing, client and customer relationships whilst promoting the services that the company can offer
- Where applicable, provide peer review of data/reports generated by colleagues
- Ensure adequate and timely response to audits
- Monitoring the transfer of all study data, test items and reports to the relevant archive at the conclusion of a study, in accordance with company standard procedures
Competencies & Requirements of the Role:
- Excellent scientific writing and verbal communication skills.
- Experienced in the interpretation of analytical data
- Experienced advocate of good scientific practice
- Experience of effective communication with stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, think and work independently, problem-solve, work in teams and multitask
- Proactive in your approach to work
- Willingness to identify and highlight your own training needs, and expand your skillset
Education & Training
- PhD in the biological or other life sciences
- Experience of postdoctoral research
- Industry experience is highly desirable
- A strong publication record is desirable
- Previous experience of Scientific Lead for regulatory (GLP) studies in an analytical setting is preferred
- Experience of working in a regulated environment is desirable
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease www.owlstonemedical.com.
Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath - some are tell-tale markers of disease that our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect.
Our vision is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; we aim to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. The key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage drop to about 5% - unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
The Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
Owlstone is an equal opportunity employer and we will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on any characteristic protected by law including but not exhaustive to; grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status.
Due to the nature of our business, all employment is subject to satisfactory references being obtained and attainment of a Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) check.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes future share options and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone may be the place for you.
We do not accept applications from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list. If you are concerned that your application has not been received by Owlstone Medical, please contact us using firstname.lastname@example.org