Senior Analytical Research & Development Scientist
DescriptionOwlstone Medical has a new Senior Analytical Research & Development Scientist position available within our Analytical Science Research and Development group. We are looking for someone able to plan, execute, supervise and deliver project deliverables, ensuring that hardware, methods and procedures are developed and deployed appropriately for delivery of business ...
Owlstone Medical has a new Senior Analytical Research & Development Scientist position available within our Analytical Science Research and Development group. We are looking for someone able to plan, execute, supervise and deliver project deliverables, ensuring that hardware, methods and procedures are developed and deployed appropriately for delivery of business objectives. They will act as a resource for junior Scientists, providing analytical, technical and leadership skills to help with all aspects of our TD-GC-MS method lifecycle for biomarker discovery and ensure that knowledge gets disseminated appropriately.
Key tasks and Accountabilities
- Plan and undertake experiments intrinsic to Owlstone medical assay/application/product development projects with a focus on TD-GC-MS method development.
- Theoretical and experimental research activities
- Process, interpret and report on acquired experimental data, ensuring that findings are scientifically accurate and are disseminated to relevant Stakeholders.
- Provide technical review of work produced by junior members within the group, provide feedback on work and act as a mentor to ensure their continual technical development.
- Ensuring team members fulfill day to day operational demands by managing workload and tasks in response to business needs.
- Empower employees to take responsibility for their roles and goals. Delegate responsibility and expect accountability and regular feedback.
- Ensure all team members are provided with pastoral care, performance management and personal development to ensure Owlstone meets its strategic objectives.
- Ensure that experimental work and that of the team adheres to department processes, and the team fulfills laboratory duties correctly and safely through training and in accordance to documented procedures.
- In addition to this, you will also be expected to play an active role in the success of the Analytical Science groups. This could include acting as a technical reviewer for projects, running or contributing to development seminars and deputising for more senior staff as required.
Education and Training
- The successful candidate is likely to have a higher degree in a relevant Scientific discipline and/or equivalent experience.
Experience and Knowledge
- GC-MS experience
- Ability to communicate technical matters with a multi-disciplinary team
- Previous line management experience or evidence of supervising team members
- Experience of user training and supervising lab work
- Ability to work and communicate well within a team.
- Ability at motivating a team.
- Ability to explain and present complex concepts in a clear and structured manner to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Experience of working with the life sciences
- Experience with TD as a sample introduction technique
- Experience as the technical owner of deliverables within a project/operational environment
- Working knowledge of IT systems and/or data systems relevant to implementation in analytical laboratories
About Owlstone Medical
Owlstone Medical is on a mission to save 100,000 lives and $1.5 billion in healthcare costs through the development and application of Breath Biopsy®. This involves collecting volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and respiratory droplets from breath, which can provide information about metabolic activity and markers related to health and disease.
Breath sampling has substantial advantages for the early detection of disease and to enable precision medicine approaches to patient care. To realize these advantages, Owlstone Medical offers Research Products and Services for biomarker discovery and is developing tests in applications including cancer, liver disease, asthma, and environmental exposure. Our work includes partnerships with major organizations including AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, the Cleveland Clinic, and the NHS and our platform is in use at well over 100 clinical and academic sites worldwide.
Our leadership in breath is underpinned by our world-class and varied team, including systems engineers, clinical scientists, analytical chemists, artificial intelligence specialists and clinical trials coordinators.
The Owlstone group also commercializes a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defense.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a strong and vibrant team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes an Employee share options scheme and private medical insurance and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of a thriving start-up company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone Medical could be the place for you.
We do not accept applications from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list. If you are concerned that your application has not been received by Owlstone Medical, please contact us using
Owlstone is an equal opportunity employer, and we will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on any characteristic protected by law including but not exhaustive to; grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status.
Due to the nature of our business, all employment is subject to satisfactory references being obtained and the attainment of a Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) check. Access to selected project information requires prior additional security authorization. Access to US technical data by employees requires prior Export Control function approval. Full clearance must be satisfactorily attained against all applicable project security and US export control authorisations. Failure to meet any reference, BPSS, project-security or export-control authorisations may have an impact on successfully completing your probationary period.
Notice to agencies
Owlstone Medical Ltd politely requests no contact from recruitment agencies or media sales. We don’t accept speculative CVs from recruitment agencies nor accept the fees associated with them.