Science & Technology
Cutting edge scientific research and technical innovation underpin our instruments and services
Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) from a patients breath, urine or other clinical samples provide a picture of a person's metabolism, which can be used to diagnose diseases before other physical symptoms become apparent. Measurement of VOCs has many advantages over other types of diagnosis.
- They can be collected non-invasively from breath.
- VOC biomarkers are present even at the earliest stage of a disease and directly reflect real time disease activity
- Drug metabolites can also be detected, allowing treatment to be monitored.
Due to the rapid exchange of air between the lungs and the circulatory system, a person’s entire blood supply is sampled for VOCs once every minute so within a short window a comprehensive measurement of a person’s current metabolite status can be collected.
- Every time you breath out there are hundreds of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) on your breath.
- VOCs provide a real-time and objective snapshot of current medical state.