Senior Data Scientist
Owlstone Medical (www.owlstonemedical.com) is on a mission to save 100,000 lives and $1.5 billion in healthcare costs through the development and application of Breath Biopsy®, which enables the non-invasive collection and analysis of biomarkers in exhaled breath for early disease detection and precision medicine. We are currently seeking a Snr Data ...
Owlstone Medical (www.owlstonemedical.com) is on a mission to save 100,000 lives and $1.5 billion in healthcare costs through the development and application of Breath Biopsy®, which enables the non-invasive collection and analysis of biomarkers in exhaled breath for early disease detection and precision medicine.
We are currently seeking a Snr Data Scientist with a proven record of accomplishment in data driven decision making. The ideal candidate will possess the ability to recognize business or engineering challenges and transform them into data science problems. They should proficiently source data, perform thorough analysis and modeling. Additionally, they must collaborate with project managers and engineering teams to implement these solutions operationally.
The role involves working with other data scientists, data engineers, informaticians, biostatisticians, analytical scientists and systems and mechanical engineers to continuously improve our models and the understanding of their interpretation.
The key responsibilities of the role are:
- Support scientific effort through the provision of data processing and data visualisation tools
- Working closely with scientists on the development of algorithms that maximise sensitivity and selectivity.
- Developing Machine Learning (ML) algorithms that are production level and fully tested
- Collaborating with internal and external stakeholders to enable end-to-end product
- When requested play an active role in experimental design – particularly when collecting training/test/validation data
- Present data analysis techniques and visualizations across the organization
- Maintaining pipelines and code development
- Validates, monitors and drives continuous improvements to data method and proposes enhancements
- Developing and applying tools and pipelines to efficiently collect, clean, and prepare data for analysis.
- Encourage the development of other members of the team by engaging in peer review of work, mentoring of junior members, and establishing best practices within the team.
- In addition to this, you will also be expected to play an active role in the success of the information science group.
- Extensive Experience in Python
- Data Analysis and Visualization libraries (e.g., Numpy, Pandas, Matplotlib, Plotly, etc.)
- Machine Learning libraries (e.g., Scikit-learn, Keras, Tensorflow, etc.)
- Scripting/programming and pipelining tools
- Excellent understanding of different Machine Learning algorithms (experience with computer vision applications is a huge plus), from research to deployment into production (encompassing coding standards and testing)
- Proficient in database management, using SQL and SQLAlquemy
- Familiar with Git, CI/CD best practices, and Agile environments
- Effective communicator with technical and non-technical colleagues, being able to present to key business partners and wider cross functional teams.
- Ability to mentor team members and can drive a culture of excellent code quality
- Experience in recognizing, quantifying, and addressing sources of variance.
- Effective communicator with technical and non-technical colleagues, being able to present to business partners and wide cross functional teams
- Experience in working with raw data collected from laboratory and non-laboratory environments and with scientific instruments.
About Owlstone Medical
Owlstone Medical is on a mission to save 100,000 lives and $1.5 billion in healthcare costs through the development and application of Breath Biopsy®. This involves collecting volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and respiratory droplets from breath, which can provide information about metabolic activity and markers related to health and disease.
Breath sampling has substantial advantages for the early detection of disease and to enable precision medicine approaches to patient care. To realize these advantages, Owlstone Medical offers Research Products and Services for biomarker discovery and is developing tests in applications including cancer, liver disease, asthma, and environmental exposure. Our work includes partnerships with major organizations including AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, the Cleveland Clinic, and the NHS and our platform is in use at well over 100 clinical and academic sites worldwide.
Our leadership in breath is underpinned by our world-class and varied team, including systems engineers, clinical scientists, analytical chemists, artificial intelligence specialists and clinical trials coordinators.
The Owlstone group also commercializes a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defense.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a strong and vibrant team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes an Employee share options scheme and private medical insurance and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of a thriving start-up company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone Medical could be the place for you.
We do not accept applications from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list. If you are concerned that your application has not been received by Owlstone Medical, please contact us using
Owlstone is an equal opportunity employer, and we will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on any characteristic protected by law including but not exhaustive to; grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status.
Due to the nature of our business, all employment is subject to satisfactory references being obtained and the attainment of a Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) check. Access to selected project information requires prior additional security authorization. Access to US technical data by employees requires prior Export Control function approval. Full clearance must be satisfactorily attained against all applicable project security and US export control authorisations. Failure to meet any reference, BPSS, project-security or export-control authorisations may have an impact on successfully completing your probationary period.
Notice to agencies
Owlstone Medical Ltd politely requests no contact from recruitment agencies or media sales. We don’t accept speculative CVs from recruitment agencies nor accept the fees associated with them.