Breath biomarker discovery with Breath Biopsy® could help to enable non-invasive precision medicine and symptom monitoring for microbiome related diseases.Find Out More
Webinar: Using Exhaled Breath to Analyze the Gut Microbiome Webinar
A webinar demonstrating how breath analysis can be used to gain a deeper understanding of the gut microbiome.VIEW WEBINAR
Blog: Understanding Gut Health Through Breath and Fecal Headspace VOC Analysis
When it’s up in the air, trust what your gut is telling you – understanding gut health and associated diseases through breath and fecal headspace VOC analysis.VIEW ARTICLE
Presentation: Sarah Bloor & Charlotte Pitcher at the Breath Biopsy Conference 2022
APPLICATIONS OF BREATH ANALYSIS: The past, present, and future of breath testing for bacterial overgrowthVIEW PRESENTATION
Breath & the Microbiome 101
Read our short document detailing the powerful potential of breath analysis in microbiome research, what data we have, and how Owlstone Medical can help.DOWNLOAD NOW
Over one billion people worldwide are affected by gastrointestinal illness, and in the US alone this results in $21 billion of direct and indirect costs each year. The symptoms of these conditions can be debilitating, with significant impacts on quality of life. Key conditions include small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), food intolerances such as carbohydrate malabsorption, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
Despite the range of underlying mechanisms that can cause gastrointestinal disease, the symptoms experienced largely overlap, making diagnosis challenging. There is a significant unmet need in the clinic for better, non-invasive tests to better distinguish between GI diseases and tests that allow for monitoring overtime to establish treatment success, particularly for complex conditions such as IBS. Exhaled breath contains a vast array of chemicals that can originate from the gastrointestinal tract: from underlying metabolism, inflammation, and the microbiome.
Through our patient-centric brand OMED Health, and in partnership with Functional Gut Diagnostics, we currently provide hydrogen and methane breath tests that aid clinicians in the diagnosis and treatment of SIBO, lactose intolerance, and fructose intolerance. These tests are suitable for at-home collection of breath, so can support de-centralized clinical trial designs including the collection of breath composition data throughout time.
A detailed look at some of the research studies investigating biomarkers related to the microbiome.
Other recommended reading:
- ARTICLE: 'Gut Microbiome Biomarkers for Disease Diagnosis' - The Microbiologist
- DOCUMENT: 'Breath Analysis and The Microbiome: Owlstone Medical's 101'
- ARTICLE: 'Breathing New Life into the Microbiome' - European Biopharmaceutical Review
- ARTICLE: 'Breath Can Deepen Our Understanding of the Microbiome' - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News
- ARTICLE: 'How breath analysis could help those living with gut health issues like IBS' - PharmaPhorum
- POSTER: Changes in exhaled volatile organic compounds following iron supplementation in self-reported healthy adults
- ARTICLE: 'Exhaled breath can reveal crucial insight into the microbiome' - Microbiome Times
- ARTICLE: 'Owlstone Medical Launches Breath Biopsy Tests For GI Health' - MedTech Insights
- WEBINAR: How Breath Biopsy is Set to Transform Digestive Health Testing
- CASE STUDY: Breath metabolites provide fresh insight into the gut microbiome
- CASE STUDY: Identifying pathogens on breath via the lung microbiome
- POSTER: The feasability of measuring VOCs on breath in response to a lactulose challenge
- WEBINAR: Using Exhaled Breath to Analyze the Gut Microbiome Webinar
Articles published on our blog related to the microbiome.