2.0 Breath Biopsy Discovery VOC Kit
Comprehensive global analysis of breath VOCs in the Breath Biopsy Services Laboratory
- Collect reliable breath samples and send to Owlstone Medical for analysis
- Conditioned and QC checked Breath Biopsy Cartridge and Mask
- Standard data analysis and reporting
The 2.0 Breath Biopsy Discovery VOC Kits include the consumables required for collection of high-quality breath samples using the ReCIVA Breath Sampler. Each kit contains a Breath Biopsy Cartridge to collect, stabilize and pre-concentrate the VOCs, enhancing the sensitivity of detection, and a disposable Breath Biopsy Mask.
All of the consumables are sealed, ready to use, and are manufactured and quality checked to the exacting standards required for the analysis of VOC biomarkers in
Breath Biopsy Cartridges containing VOCs are returned to Owlstone Medical after use, using the pre-paid return envelope provided, and comprehensive global analysis of VOCs is performed in the Breath Biopsy Services laboratory using our Breath Biopsy analytical platform including GC-MS.
"The European asthma research innovation partnership (EARIP) recently highlighted the potential of VOCs to assist phenotyping asthma and predicting major clinical outcomes such as exacerbations and response to treatment. Owlstone Medical’s Breath Biopsy Discovery VOC Kits could help overcome a major roadblock for the large-scale studies that are required to get breath into clinical practice by facilitating standardization of both sampling and analytical methods." - Dr. Stephen Fowler, Senior Lecturer and Honorary Consultant in Respiratory Medicine at the University of Manchester
Breath Biopsy Cartridges
Each Breath Biopsy Cartridge contains two pairs of VOC sample tubes prepared using our proprietary conditioning and QC process which includes optimized parameters designed to remove even low levels of contaminants that could interfere with detection of VOCs in breath, and enable enhanced sensitivity for breath analysis methods running in splitless mode.
- Thermal conditioning at > 300 °C for 4 hours.
- QC process includes analysis of blank Breath Biopsy Cartridges by TD-GC-MS, and evaluation of spectra against our database of blank profiles to ensure any background is below a total VOC count of 50 ng on trap mass threshold.
- Capped before and after breath collection to minimize contamination from external VOCs.
Breath Biopsy Masks
Breath Biopsy Masks are manufactured to the specific requirements for breath VOC analysis.
- Initial conditioning bake 200 °C for 8 hours.
- Clean and wash process using acid/detergent mix, followed by rinse/dry at elevated temperature.
- Secondary bake at 200 °C for 680 hours.
- Integral filter is baked for 16 hours at 75 °C prior to assembly.
- QC includes mock breath collection (global analysis of VOCs by GC-MS).
- Vacuum sealed individually, ready to use.
How to Analyze
Once the breath samples have been collected using the ReCIVA Breath Sampler and Breath Biopsy Kit, the Breath Biopsy Cartridges are returned to Owlstone Medical's Breath Biopsy Services Laboratory for analysis, using the pre-paid envelope provided.
Our team of expert analytical chemists analyze your samples using our Breath Biopsy analytical platform including mass spectrometry.
Our data scientists use a range of statistical analyses including machine learning to develop classification algorithms and identify candidate biomarkers using the world's largest Breath Biopsy digital biobank.
Once your study is complete, our experts review the results with you. We provide a detailed report, containing all the analysis of your Breath Biopsy samples.
What's inside the box
- One Breath Biopsy Cartridge
Four conditioned VOC sample tubes
Capped and ready to use
- One disposable Breath Biopsy Mask
Vacuum sealed and ready to use
- Encrypted USB drive
For transfer of patient metadata
- Return envelope
Breath Biopsy Cartridges are returned to Owlstone Medical for analysis
- Comprehensive breath VOC Discovery Service
Performed in Owlstone Medical's Breath Biopsy Services Laboratory using the Breath Biopsy analytical platform including GC-MS
Standard data analysis and reporting
Custom data analysis available (additional fees apply)
ReCIVA® Breath Sampler
A reliable and reproducible way to capture VOC biomarkers in breath samples
3.0 Breath Biopsy Target VOC Kit
Targeted analysis of specific VOCs of interest using our Breath Biopsy Services